FORUMS: list search recent posts

Probely a easy question about kona and final cut

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eljoninjo
Probely a easy question about kona and final cut
on May 2, 2007 at 10:43:12 am

Info:
I have a mac pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon 3 GHz with 4 gig of ram.
I got two disks (500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s).
One with mac os and one for video (yea I plan to get a raidsolution)
I also got a g-raid wich should support 1 stream of 10bit, a lacie (qaudro), and a maxtor as external disks.

I have runned the kona test write/read and got 77.9 mb/s as the lowest speed on a 4 gig filesize. That should be enugh for dvcpro hd 1920x1080 right? I did the Kona DMA test aswell and and got write 22.1mb/s and read 154,5

questions:
Is my internal drive (500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s) fast enough for editing dvcpro hd 1929x1080p with the Aja Lhe?

Is it heavier for the computer to output throw the aja card? I mean shake gets really slow while activated exteranal monitor, and final cut plays clips smothly but not the aja output.

And if you import a tga sequence and render so it plays smooth in final cut, shouldn't it play smoothly at the aja kona lhe aswell? I mean if it plays back nice on the mac, shouldn't it play back just as smooth on the kona card?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Probely a easy question about kona and final cut
on May 2, 2007 at 1:42:51 pm

[Eljoninjo] "questions:
Is my internal drive (500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s) fast enough for editing dvcpro hd 1929x1080p with the Aja Lhe? "

Not a good idea, and NEVER edit video on the drive your System folder is on.

"Is it heavier for the computer to output throw the aja card? I mean shake gets really slow while activated exteranal monitor, and final cut plays clips smothly but not the aja output. "

Using FCP with a card forces FCP to properly handle the content ie: force play of all frames. It gives you a more accurate representation of what your computer can really handle. FCP alone often can "cheat" on playback quality and frame rate as part of the RT engine.

" mean if it plays back nice on the mac, shouldn't it play back just as smooth on the kona card? "

NO. we are talking about a professional product. Your Kona Card is forcing FCP to act in a professional manner where as the latest visions of QT are there to allow your iPod to handle video. Not output base band 1.5 GB video over HDSDI

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

eljoninjo
on May 2, 2007 at 3:39:58 pm

Thanks Gary! I suspected that final cut "cheated". Do you have any cheap solution for the problem. I been looking at caldigit s2vr Hd wich fits my pockets.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 2, 2007 at 3:59:10 pm

[eljoninjo] "Thanks Gary! I suspected that final cut "cheated". Do you have any cheap solution for the problem. I been looking at caldigit s2vr Hd wich fits my pockets. "

I have not ever used a CalDigit unit.

I have had great success with the Gtech SATA and Fibre units, The GSpeed ES Sata solution will ship later this year starting on with the 1T unit for $999.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 2, 2007 at 3:59:11 pm

[eljoninjo] "Thanks Gary! I suspected that final cut "cheated". Do you have any cheap solution for the problem. I been looking at caldigit s2vr Hd wich fits my pockets. "

I have not ever used a CalDigit unit.

I have had great success with the Gtech SATA and Fibre units, The GSpeed ES Sata solution will ship later this year starting on with the 1T unit for $999.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

Ilovehue
on May 2, 2007 at 8:20:29 pm

I've been using the S2VR HD on a TV series for some time now and it's great. We are working with about 14 hours of footage of DCVPRO HD 1080i (HDX-900) and we can 3 store shows in it plus al the packaging in uncompressed. It runs the DVCPRO HD like a dream. We can also run our HD uncompressed ONLINE from it.

FYI : Each show is 50 minutes long and we edit on a MacPro 2 x 2.3 with 4.5 GB RAM and a KONA LHe.

Mathieu Marano
online editor - motion graphics - Post-prod direction
ilovehue.net

Administrator of the Montreal Final Cut User Group
http://www.finalcutmtl.org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]