FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 2 - HDSDI to HDV ?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bart Harrison
Kona 2 - HDSDI to HDV ?
on Apr 28, 2007 at 1:40:00 pm

I have a client who needs to capture 10180i from his HDW-F500 HDCAM deck (via HDSDI) to an HDV file using his Kona 2 card. I don't have a Kona system here right now to make sure it's possible. Is anyone sucessfully using this workflow to offline with ?

Bart

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bart Harrison
MPA - The HD Suite

America's VAR
TurnKey Editing Systems, Storage Area Networks
HD Consulting, Production & Post, Exhibition & Distribution
http://www.hdsuite.com
954-894-1221

Return to posts index

Bart Harrison
Re: Kona 2 - HDSDI to HDV ?
on Apr 28, 2007 at 1:41:31 pm

Whoops I meant 1080i !

Bart Harrison
MPA - The HD Suite

America's VAR
954-894-1221

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 28, 2007 at 2:24:42 pm

[Bart Harrison] "I have a client who needs to capture 10180i from his HDW-F500 HDCAM deck (via HDSDI) to an HDV file using his Kona 2 card."

I don't think this is possible with the Kona cards. They play back HDV, but only record to DVCPro HD. I just looked at the Easy Setup and there's nothing to record to HDV from another source.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 28, 2007 at 2:33:22 pm

[walter biscardi] "They play back HDV, but only record to DVCPro HD."

I should add at least as far as compressed HD. Of course with FCP 6 next month, they will also be able to record to the Apple ProRes 422 codec. But as far as transcoding video to HDV, does not appear to be possible with the Konas.

Why not just use DVCPro HD? It's a much better and cleaner codec than HDV and you can edit with just about anything using that codec.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Apr 28, 2007 at 4:13:45 pm

Walter, did you get a good feel for the Pro422 versus DVCProHD's quality at NAB?

KW

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 28, 2007 at 6:20:41 pm

I could not compare Pro Res 422 to DVCProHD, but Pro Res 422 looks fantastic (it's the same res as AVID's DNxHD codec's), and these (on the AVID) have been the same to me as FCP's DVCProHD, for over a year now.

Unless you are in the feature film business, DVCProHD and Pro Res 422HQ are ABSOLUTELY enough for any broadcast job. You must remember that every AVID Adrenaline does NOT do uncompressed video, but DNxHD, and CBS Network Unity ISIS system can only handle DNxHD145, which is the same data rate as Apple Pro Res 422 (not 422 HQ, which is better), so for those doing NON film work, that say "Pro Res 422 is not broadcast quality" - I respond - EAT ME !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Apr 28, 2007 at 6:33:33 pm

Bob, we've used DVCProHD for a while now and are MORE than happy with it. How do the file sizes compare? This would be the reason we would switch IF the quality was the same: file size, render size, etc.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 28, 2007 at 6:50:07 pm

[Kevin Wild] "This would be the reason we would switch"

Not because it's 10bit? I am wondering if it's going to hold up to the current 10 bit uncompressed codec.

ProRes HQ is based on 220 Mbps stream, Pro Res is a 145Mbps stream, as opposed to DVCPro HD's 100Mbps. SO it's going to be a bit bigger that DVCPro HD, but still no where near as inflated as uncompressed. And don't forget it's 10 bit and also full raster. I can't wait to see this codec, hope it's good. There's no mention of alpha channel support :(

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 28, 2007 at 8:58:30 pm

Most people like me saw this at NAB2007 in Vegas. As you know, there are no "bad products" at NAB - everything looks great. You can't tell anything until you get it home, and play with it. I have seen DV footage and old 3/4" footage that look great. You get the right footage (girls on a sunny day at the beach), and there are no bad codecs, no bad cameras, and no bad monitors. Shoot a sales video with no light against a dark red background - everything changes.

If Pro Res HD was never invented, DVCProHD would be "good enough" for 95% of the market for the next 10 years. (I will regret saying this when 2 years from now everyone says "what - you are not shooting in 4K").

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 28, 2007 at 9:22:20 pm

[Bob Zelin] "(I will regret saying this when 2 years from now everyone says "what - you are not shooting in 4K"). "

Yeah, I'd have to agree to disagree with you that the DVCPro HD codec is going to be good enough for the next 10 years.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2007 at 2:08:57 am

[Bob Zelin] "(I will regret saying this when 2 years from now everyone says "what - you are not shooting in 4K")."

Bob,

That's gonna be more like two months from now...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Post-production Supervisor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 29, 2007 at 3:31:33 am

[David Roth Weiss] "Bob,

That's gonna be more like two months from now..."

And how many people are actually going to be shooting in 4k? For a TV show? probably not. For an indie film? probably not. 4K is like the magic word for all the Red camera fans, but how many people are actually going to be shooting 4K with that camera or any camera? I'm guessing not all that many, at least for a few years.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 29, 2007 at 4:08:47 am

[walter biscardi] "And how many people are actually going to be shooting in 4k? "

If the Red camera and software works like it's advertised, what's the penalty of shooting 4K and posting in HD? I know at the shop, we are waiting to buy another camera, and at red's price point why wouldn't we buy it if it works?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2007 at 5:06:40 am

[JeremyG] "If the Red camera and software works like it's advertised, what's the penalty of shooting 4K and posting in HD? I know at the shop, we are waiting to buy another camera, and at red's price point why wouldn't we buy it if it works?"

Exactly!!! I know people here in L.A. who are already onboard and with projects already in pre-production. After all, the price of a tricked-out RED camera is less than Betacam SD camera used to cost.

David Roth Weiss
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 29, 2007 at 2:59:08 pm

[walter biscardi] "4K is like the magic word for all the Red camera fans, but how many people are actually going to be shooting 4K with that camera or any camera? I'm guessing not all that many, at least for a few years."

Something like 8 movies used a full 4K workflow last year, and around 21 in total used 4K for part of the production mostly for SFX work. while I think the move 4K is great, the people I keep talking to about 4K are not talking about the post part of the process, only the acquisition.
I find a discussion of 4K in a thread about HDV encoding well, humorous,

I think people need to get thru a real HD migration before they start talking about working 4K anywhere but in Hollywood and NYC.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Bart Harrison
on Apr 29, 2007 at 3:13:57 pm

[gary adcock] "I find a discussion of 4K in a thread about HDV encoding well, humorous,"

Yet not as humorous as the plan to use full 1080p as proxy material!

Bart

Bart Harrison
MPA - The HD Suite

America's VAR
954-894-1221

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 29, 2007 at 3:42:37 pm

[Bart Harrison] "Yet not as humorous as the plan to use full 1080p as proxy material!"

depends on whether that would be "true P" or Psf...

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 30, 2007 at 2:45:44 am

[gary adcock] "I think people need to get thru a real HD migration before they start talking about working 4K anywhere but in Hollywood and NYC. "

While that is a true statement, the way I feel about it is like when everything used to be shot on film and then posted in SD. It's going to be the same type of thing, shoot 4k, transcode to whatever flavor of HD you want, then master...no reason to go back to 4K unless you are making movies.

Am I silly for thinking this way?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 1, 2007 at 5:20:54 am

[JeremyG] "It's going to be the same type of thing, shoot 4k, transcode to whatever flavor of HD you want, then master...no reason to go back to 4K unless you are making movies. Am I silly for thinking this way? "

No

Yet too many of the people I talk to are not the ones that need to be thinking about 4K. They still need to better understand HD a bit, prior to taking a leap of that magnitude. I cannot wait for the posts here.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 29, 2007 at 3:28:42 am

[Kevin Wild] "Walter, did you get a good feel for the Pro422 versus DVCProHD's quality at NAB?"

None whatsoever. That will be the first tests I'll run when I receive Final Cut Studio 2.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 29, 2007 at 3:33:41 pm

Future post on this forum -
I just bought Final Cut Pro, to run on my Mac Pro laptop, and whenever I try to record a 4K image from the RED Camera, I get dropped frames. I just spend over $20,000 for this camera, and I was told that FCP does HD - how come I can't record the 4K image onto my MAC laptop? Should I have bought Premier ?

Just wait - we will see this post.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bart Harrison
on Apr 29, 2007 at 3:46:30 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Just wait - we will see this post."

I have NO doubt !!

Bart

Bart Harrison
MPA - The HD Suite

America's VAR
954-894-1221

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 29, 2007 at 3:47:22 pm

LMAO.....

save the link bob, just to prove you are a true visionary.....

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2007 at 4:27:01 pm

An even more likely future post -

I'm really upset because I can't use FCS2 to Edit native Redcode on my single processor 1.2gb G4. This sucks, even Vegas and Canopus can do anything in and anything out. Maybe tri-level sync will make it work, I'll ask Bob.

Just wait - we will see this post.

David Roth Weiss
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Now Future Posts
on Apr 29, 2007 at 6:03:30 pm

[David Roth Weiss] " An even more likely future post - "

I keep thinking about the tech support calls.

"I got my new RED camera and lenses, but I think they left something off of their prime lenses- none of them seem to have any zoom controls"

"Where does the tape go?"

"WHAT??? I have to pay extra for a Viewfinder?"

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

Bart Harrison
on Apr 29, 2007 at 6:10:20 pm

We've all been doing this way toooo long !!!

Bart

Bart Harrison
MPA - The HD Suite

America's VAR
954-894-1221

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 29, 2007 at 7:22:00 pm

Wait - more !

There is actually a post like this on the AJA I/O forum right now, but I will exadurate it for humor -

"I have an original Kona SD board - does AJA supply the drivers so I can run the RED 4K codec on this, OR can I trade in my Kona SD card for the new AJA Kona 4K board". I believe the current post is asking why he can't do HD with his current "old" AJA I/O box. This type of question will never end. "I have a VHS machine - how can I record a 4K HD signal on it". People always say "don't be mean" but how can you not be a smart ass to serious questions like "how come my VHS machine and my TV set can't see a 1080i image".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2007 at 7:53:05 pm

Bob,

Ah, truth imitates art...

There really should be a separate forum on the Cow for this type of stuff. A Cynics and Skeptics Forum is probably long overdue. I can see your picture up at the top of that one. I'll gladly contribute as often as possible.

DRW

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 29, 2007 at 8:08:32 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "There really should be a separate forum on the Cow for this type of stuff. "

there is

it is called creative calf.....

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2007 at 8:24:21 pm

[gary adcock] "it is called creative calf....."

Good one!!! You are really on today...

Based on some questions I've seen, I wonder if there is much difference between the Cow and the Calf?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 29, 2007 at 8:53:03 pm

we don't even have to write anything. We can just copy and paste the "classis" posts, like (and this one is coming) - "I just bought an AJA Kona LHe - can I get a refund so I can get the new Kona I/O HD".

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Simmie
on May 2, 2007 at 11:18:59 am

It's all because cards like the Kona are spoiling us! They keep adding new features for free!

Damn them! :-)

-Simmie
2 G5 - Kona LH
3 G4s - Cinewave
1 xbox360, 1 PSP, 1 PS2 & a Gamecube
http://www.speak.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]