FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aja LH will not PT T?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GaryAlan
Aja LH will not PT T?
on Apr 27, 2007 at 7:17:56 pm

We have a Mac dual 2.7 with 2.5 gb ram, 2GB Huge RAID with Atto, all the latest firmware and software updates using FCP and the Aja LH connected to a Sony 1800 BetaSP deck using component analog in and out with RS422 connected.

I can capture BetaSP using FCP and the BetaSP deck, but we cannot get the Prnt to Tape to work. We are editing HDV 1080i on the timeline, it does it's conform and renders all on the sequence, it starts the PTT process and then we get an error message saying write protect will not allow the PTT. The tape is new and is not write protected. We can do a manual record by setting the remote on the VTR to local, start the recording and then play the FCP timeline and Aja does do the downconvert to 525 NTSC.

We called Aja and spoke wuth the tech, sent him screenshots of the error messages, but three days later we have not heard anything.

Anyone else know why this is happening and how w ecan fix it? I gotta believe it is some setting in FCP, AJA or the deck and other people are not having this problem. Any help is appreciated.

Gary

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: Aja LH will not PT T?
on Apr 27, 2007 at 7:34:03 pm

Whoa... Hang on!

Clarify yourself a little... Do you mean "Print to Video" or "Edit to Tape"? Those are the two options in FCP. If its "Edit to Tape", how are you doing this? Are you using the "Edit to Tape" window or dragging your timeline to the "Edit to Tape" window? Usually the second option is the best option.

Next, Is your tape striped with black and timecode?

[GaryAlan] "We are editing HDV 1080i on the timeline, it does it's conform and renders all on the sequence, it starts the PTT process and then we get an error message saying write protect will not allow the PTT."

This one throws up a red flag to me.... What are your sequence settings? The reason I ask this is because with whatever version of FCP you have, "Print to Video" may have trouble working if it thinks its writting HDV and your deck is telling your Kona LH is not an HDV machine. Check your Audio/Video Settings and see if the machine control is set to Sony HDV Firewire. This will cause your error, too.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com

Return to posts index

GaryAlan
on Apr 27, 2007 at 8:01:13 pm

No, I said Print to Tpae, not Edit to Tape. I am familiar with the two and I know you cannot use Edit to tape without having a tape blacked with timecode. Also, it depends on what VTR. HDV cannot use Edit to tape, thus PTT as recommended by others.

Everything in to out as HDV 1080i and it goes through its Conform process at the end before going out to tape. The only thing I can maybe see is I had Sony Beta as the device and not Sony HDV as you mention. I wonder why the Aja tech did not mention anything when we went through everything together.

I am not at the system. I am hoping to hear from someone who is using the same setup with the LH and the Sony 1800 and know exactly what settings I should use in FCP and Aja.

I just spoke to my editor (I am not there today he is not a tech type person) and I am thinking he should start using AIC or DVCproHD when he captures. He just started a new propject and captured five hours, so it will wait till the next project. I think this might help get rid of some problems he has and the Conform process.

Thanx,
Gary

Return to posts index

GaryAlan
on Apr 30, 2007 at 5:27:38 am

Anyone? How about the experts here?

Gary

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 30, 2007 at 3:23:08 pm

[GaryAlan] "HDV cannot use Edit to tape, thus PTT as recommended by others."

But you should not be treating this as HDV. Once you added the Kona card - those setting need to be changed to reflect a 1080i60 timeline.

The Kona Timeline should not have needed to conform-it should just playout of the card into the 1800 deck - are you using the correct deck protocols so the deck is seen by FCP?

are you and your non- tech editor talking the same language, The AJA guys do not leave people hanging unless they believe the problem is solved.

"I am thinking he should start using AIC or DVCproHD when he captures. He just started a new propject and captured five hours, so it will wait till the next project. I think this might help get rid of some problems he has and the Conform process."

Stay away from AIC frame accuracy is an issue- DVCPROHD is the choice most of us use.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

GaryAlan
on Apr 30, 2007 at 11:22:05 pm

Hello Gary,

I entered this situation as a tech to help this person straighten out his system that was left in a mess by a previous employee. The Beta SP 1800 was broken and I just had it repaired by Band Pro in Burbank. My client did not have a good workflow or any organized storage routine after many years of producing these half hour shows for network air. So I am dealing with what is there. I have it all under control and straight except for the Kona doing the PTT.

Yes, the editor/producer speaks English, but he is not a tech type and he went by what ever the last guy did or told him. Besides, it is me and the AJA tech that is talking to each other and not my client. I have not used the AJA LH and a Sony 1800 before. But I do understand everything and seek help from those that might know to save us time. My background stems 30 years with Quantel iQ in 4k, discreet, Avid, FCP, network broadcast, etc.

My client has been capturing HDV 1080i from the Sony M10 VTR using firewire for all the previous shows and I have already discussed the new workflow with him to either go with AIC or DVCproHD in the future. He has one project still online, so we cannot change codecs until the next show/capture.

The AJA tech is a person that the previous employee was talking to and they obviously never resolved the issues. I recently contacted the same AJA tech, who is very nice on the phone, but I still have not heard back with any answers in email or on the phone. I told him we needed to get two shows to tape for airing last week. I ended up doing a manual record. I will try calling him again this week when I go to the facility, which is far from where I live. I only go there once or twice a week to teach advanced FCP skills and to make any repairs/changes to the setup.

I went through all the settings we currently use with the AJA tech. I sent him an email with the settings and screen grabs of the error messages as he requested. I have to think that it is something with the device settings in FCP and AJA. The AJA tech did mention that they might have a new driver coming out in a few weeks that "might" correct the problem. My question is "what is every one else doing with this same sort of setup? If it is known problem that never works, then I will not spend any more time trying to fix it and just keep using manual PTT. A little PIA, but a workaround for now.

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry for the long post, but I wanted to clarify the facts. More than likely, switching over to DVCproHD and one setting in devices might clear things up. Any further help is appreciated.

Best regards,
Gary

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 30, 2007 at 11:48:20 pm

[GaryAlan] "Yes, the editor/producer speaks English, but he is not a tech type"

LOL, I was asking if you and he were speaking the same "tech" language, often the issue is in the different ways people phrase things and the different levels of knowledge.

your 1080i content should playout the kona card as long as you have set the system up to do that. make sure the deck control has been set to the Kona card serial and not HDV.

try this
change the easy set up to be the 1080i60 DVCPROHD setup then the HDV content should playout via the card correctly.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

GaryAlan
on May 1, 2007 at 12:03:10 am

Thanx Gary. I will try that on my next visit. I think I had the device set to something else than Kona serial. I will get him going with a DVCproHD workflow.

Another question, please. We have the new FCPS 2 coming that has the new Apple 422 codec. Should we wait and just use that as a workflow (assuming the Kona LH will have new drivers to use it) instead of DVCproHD? I know it is not out yet, but it seems it might be a better choice. Unless I am misunderstanding the new codec.

best regards,
Gary

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 1, 2007 at 2:32:40 am

[GaryAlan] "Should we wait and just use that as a workflow (assuming the Kona LH will have new drivers to use it) instead of DVCproHD?"

A fair assumption, and one that will surely be tested. Apple's new codec looks very promising, and hopefully using it will keep us from befalling the "new ipod feature in QT - now ETT is not working" that has plagued many of us lately.

I just witnessed some tests with ProRes and I much less skeptical than I was at NAB.
Only time will tell, too many people think that this codec generates smaller files than DVCPROHD, but it appears that it creates slightly larger file sizes, but a slightly larger file with all of the capabilities is worth it to me.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 1, 2007 at 2:37:14 am

[gary adcock] "Only time will tell, too many people think that this codec generates smaller files than DVCPROHD, but it appears that it creates slightly larger file sizes, but a slightly larger file with all of the capabilities is worth it to me."

Yeah that part I didn't get. It was pretty clear to me that the files were something like 16 - 18MB/s which is along the lines of 8bit Uncompressed SD. I was confused why people were thinking it was a smaller file.

I really want to see how the ProRes 422 compares to the DVCPro HD codec and I'm hoping I'll get my copy of Studio before we finish our next round of Good Eats so I can use the Varicam footage to do some nice side by side tests.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Ilovehue
on May 3, 2007 at 6:10:32 pm

AJA has a PDF regarding work done in HDV and a KONA:

http://www.aja.com/pdf/support/AJA_whitepaper_HDV.pdf

If it can help...

Mathieu Marano
online editor - motion graphics - Post-prod director
ilovehue.net

Administrator of the Montreal Final Cut User Group
http://www.finalcutmtl.org

Return to posts index

GaryAlan
on May 3, 2007 at 11:09:59 pm

Thanx lovehue,
The info on the HDV deck control was very helpful. And setting the HDV deck input to Video input.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]