FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: I have film that needs Telecine and Color Correction

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Hedin
OT: I have film that needs Telecine and Color Correction
on Apr 26, 2007 at 9:58:54 pm

A bit off topic..but I didn't know where else to post.

With all the color correction tools available to us today, is it pointless to have the Telecine facility do color correction for me? Should I save money have and have them transfer the footage fast and cheap, then do the color correction in post?

I consider myself a excellent colorist, so I would like all my options in post, I just don't know what value there is in doing color correction at the time of transfer.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Peter Mackay
Re: OT: I have film that needs Telecine and Color Correction
on Apr 27, 2007 at 12:11:54 am

Have your telecine operator do a flat pass for you. then you can do all the color correction that you want. This is the way that most TV episodics are done now like 24 for instance, They also shoot on a very low contrast film especially for this. Do not just do a cheap telecine you may find that your blacks are crushed and the whites blown, you will never get that back.

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Apr 27, 2007 at 2:18:00 am

It just depends on the project whether you'll benefit from having some color work done in transfer vs later in post. Color correction done in a telecine suite is a great thing when you need things to happen fast, but most of what's done there can be done in post with the right operator. A good colorist is going to understand how to get the most out of your film though, and you also have the option to pan & scan to optimize your framing on each shot. I consider myself very good with color as well, but I'd never stack up against a 20 year veteran on a really nice telecine.

Joe Murray

Return to posts index

WhiteNoise
on Apr 27, 2007 at 10:17:05 am

Where ever you do it ensure you monitoring and scopes are up to the task.
Kev

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]