FORUMS: list search recent posts

KONA 2 and I/O LA Strangeness

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Battistella
KONA 2 and I/O LA Strangeness
on Apr 24, 2007 at 7:15:37 pm

I am having a wierd problem between the K2 driver and the AJA I/O that I have installed. This seems like a new issue and an incompatibility between drivers.

Typically, I only use the I/O if I am inputting or Outputting Betacam SP material. The rest of the time I am in a K2 Preset, as I use the K2 for monitoring external monitor.

Problem. There is a large hue shift in my monitor if I am monitoring the K2 vs. the I/O. Even if I use the exact same settings with both devices, I still get a major hue shift. I have to K2 set up in the workflow for all the other software, but it's a drag to look at the monitor and realize the I/O is out of phase.

The scopes are correct though, strange.

Any help? Ideas?

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: KONA 2 and I/O LA Strangeness
on Apr 24, 2007 at 7:22:33 pm

Sounds like you might need a sync generator. AJA just released the Gen10 which can do both HD and SD for around $399. I don't think its been released yet but would be a worthy investment.

Something else to consider.... You can't compare digital video to analog. There will always be differences. Why is it that SDI video looks less saturated than Component? Different color spaces.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 24, 2007 at 10:35:22 pm

[Wayne Carey] "Different color spaces."

Especially when monitoring Beta component on the LA, and SMPTE N10 component on the Kona.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 25, 2007 at 12:53:28 pm

Ahh. This explains it.

David

Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 27, 2007 at 1:56:46 am

never use SMPTE N10. You will find many monitors have a SMPTE N10 setting, in addition to "Betacam CAV" or Betacam component Y Pb Pr settings. The world follows these Betacam Y Pb Pr settings. SMPTE N10 is the default output of all waveform monitors (like Tektronix or Leader waveform montiors) that have PIX MON OUTPUTS. Specifically, one would take a SDI video signal, and go into a Tektronix waveform monitor (like the WFM601i), and the editor would say "ok, so how do I see my picture - I don't own a SDI TV monitor". These waveform monitors had PIX MON OUTPUTS that were all color calibrated to SMPTE N10 - you would take the PIX MON OUT, and feed it from the waveform monitor output, to your TV monitor component input, and set the TV (like a Sony PVM series) to N10, and the colors would be correct.

Of course, no one ever did this, and SMPTE N10 caused all kinds of confusion, since it was the default of many products.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 27, 2007 at 3:27:28 am

I only set things to Beta if I am working in Beta. All AJA SDI presets are N10 (besides the Beta ones) and we don't shoot Beta. Everything is not Beta, only Beta is Beta, am I wrong? Since when does the world follow Beta since most people I work with don't shoot Beta...? Do you mean to tell me the SDX900 and other Panasonic camera shoot in Beta color space? Just askin...

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 27, 2007 at 4:07:55 pm

Bob,

I switched to K2 to the Component Beta (which is the equivalent of monitoring component Digi Beta) and my world is one happy color space.

David

Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

PSimpso
on Apr 28, 2007 at 6:42:02 pm

This post isn't related to the topic,

I just want to get Bob Zelin's attention because I posted him a question regarding his magazine article about building a machine room here: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/220/256?univpostid=252&pview=t

I'd love some feedback!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 1, 2007 at 1:52:51 am

Please send this email to me directly at maxavid@cfl.rr.com.
I will respond, but this is not the forum for this question

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]