FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple ProRes into Kona LHe ?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
WhiteNoise
Apple ProRes into Kona LHe ?
on Apr 23, 2007 at 5:01:20 pm

Hi Aja,
Quick question, are you going to be able to incorporate the new Apple ProRes codec into any of your existing products, particularly the Kona LHe (thats what I have...). Just thought I'd ask although have a sneeky suspicion you won't be able.
Thanks in advance.
Kev

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Apple ProRes into Kona LHe ?
on Apr 23, 2007 at 5:35:18 pm

Yes, Apple ProRes 422 just shows up like all the other codecs you have now. We were running a beta of FCP 6 with the new Kona drivers at NAB and the codec was already in there.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

WhiteNoise
on Apr 23, 2007 at 6:29:50 pm

Thanks Walter, good news...

Return to posts index

pom_boarder
on Apr 23, 2007 at 9:36:51 pm

Hi Walter,

Would that also enable LHe owners to capture as PRORES422 in the same way as we would with HDV?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 23, 2007 at 10:42:40 pm

[pom_boarder] "Would that also enable LHe owners to capture as PRORES422 in the same way as we would with HDV? "

First off Your Kona card DOES NOT capture into any HDV codec.

All Kona cards will support capture into ProRez as long as the computer you are running is fast enough to handle the compression in realtime.

ie: faster / newer machines will do more than older/ slower machines can.

Until FCS2 is actually shipping not much else will be announced.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 23, 2007 at 11:37:17 pm

So there is no hardware acceleration for the new Pro Res codecs as there is for the HDV and Panny codecs on board right now?

I could understand that reverse engineering a new codec could be tricky.

Is prorez the "open Timeline" codec then? Does this mean that all open timelines will be in a codec pre-denifined by Apple or the user?

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 23, 2007 at 11:54:13 pm

[David Battistella] "So there is no hardware acceleration for the new Pro Res codecs as there is for the HDV and Panny codecs on board right now? "

ProRes has a full raster image size does not scale like DVCPROHD or HDV, so there is no acceleration based on the scaling done via the Kona card with these other codecs.

"Is prorez the "open Timeline" codec then? Does this mean that all open timelines will be in a codec pre-denifined by Apple or the user?"

good question,
and my unqualified answer world be yes.

Since ProRez, much like DnxHD wants everything around it under its control, I am assuming that ProRez would accelerate the handling everything mixed content in the timeline.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 24, 2007 at 12:46:29 am

[David Battistella] "Is prorez the "open Timeline" codec then? Does this mean that all open timelines will be in a codec pre-denifined by Apple or the user?"

The user. Whatever timeline you start with, so long as your system is fast enough, it will play all the media in that timeline in realtime.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Apr 24, 2007 at 1:03:54 am

It mentions in the demo on their site that the first clip you bring down dictates what the timeline codec will natively be.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 24, 2007 at 1:49:48 pm

So how is the software been re-engineered to allow for this. I think that this feels a bit like Dynamic RT, but on steroids.

I wonder how the re-wrote that part of the code to bassically allow RT Etreme to be full rez at all times.

Interesting.

I would venture a guess that the uncompressed timelines would be fasted because if you went with a DV timeline, for example, a lot of work would be being done by the software to recompress, whereas uncompressed is much faster because there is less calculation going on.

Davdi

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 24, 2007 at 1:52:19 pm

[David Battistella] "
So how is the software been re-engineered to allow for this. I think that this feels a bit like Dynamic RT, but on steroids."

From what I've been told, FCS Studio 2 is a complete re-write of the software from the ground up which is why it took two years to release FCP 6. There was a lot of "junk" still in the application from the OS 9 days that was thrown away. So from what I was told, the application is much more efficient and can take better advantage of the hardware that's out there today.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 24, 2007 at 5:17:54 pm

This is great news!

I hope that all the K2 Drivers will work with the new version. I am sure they are being re-written for new versions of QT and FCP6.0. I hope we see that release onthe heels of the FCP boxes shipping.

I am a bit worried about bugginess with the round tripping and especially Color and Soundtrack.

David

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Apr 24, 2007 at 8:03:53 pm

"From what I've been told, FCS Studio 2 is a complete re-write of the software from the ground up"

Walter, I had heard about this for the past 6 months as well. I have a friend who visited Apple and even went as far to say that the new FCP6 team was in a different building altogether. That said, I'm not sure we've seen the new build. So far, it looks awfully similar to have had a complete rebuild. That and the fact that they didn't mention a new rebuild, did they?

I wonder if we've seen the rebuilt version yet. Is it possible we won't see it until Leopard comes out or next year's?

Kevin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 24, 2007 at 8:13:48 pm

[Kevin Wild] "That said, I'm not sure we've seen the new build. So far, it looks awfully similar to have had a complete rebuild. That and the fact that they didn't mention a new rebuild, did they?

I wonder if we've seen the rebuilt version yet. Is it possible we won't see it until Leopard comes out or next year's?"

The interface is the same, but looking at Final Cut Server, Soundtrack Pro and how they interact with FCP, it's very clear that a lot of the "under the hood" workings of FCP have been completely done over or at least incredibly fine tuned. Just because the interface looks the same, doesn't mean the application isn't completely new. There was a ton of under the hood stuff that you or I would never know about that was in serious need of re-working.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Apr 26, 2007 at 12:54:33 pm

No there's no hardware accelleration on the cards, HOWEVER... the Io HD has the hardware on board to perform the compression during capture, and the de compression for external output... only solution for this in the world right now. so it should improve performance of the codec becuse it's doing this heavy lifting externally... and not tying up your CPU for the job.

Jerry

Return to posts index

christopherk
on Apr 24, 2007 at 7:13:46 pm

You probably don't have an answer for this, but maybe you can ballpark it?

What is "fast enough"? Is Octo-core minimum... or can one of the first generation MacPros do the job?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Apr 26, 2007 at 12:56:52 pm

I don't think anyone knows that can talk yet... but there's no doubt the Io HD would make things wide open for slower machines, because IT'S doing the compression/decompression.

Jerry

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 26, 2007 at 1:31:29 pm

[Jerry Hofmann] " don't think anyone knows that can talk yet... but there's no doubt the Io HD would make things wide open for slower machines, because IT'S doing the compression/decompression."

that would be a good guess Jerry,
since all of the processing of the codec is contained in the IoHD, so that Laptops or older computers would then be able to use the ProRez compression schema.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]