Mackie 1402 and Kona3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
athenross
Mackie 1402 and Kona3
on Apr 22, 2007 at 2:25:35 am

Hello group,

Quick question:

The Mackie 1402 VLZ Mixer is analog audio only. The Kona 3 card is digital only. Will the 1402 work with the Kona 3 if I have the breakout box? As I understand, the breakout box will only give me 2 channels of RCA audio, the mixer is supposed to deal with 14 channels. I've read posts on here about people using this mixer all the time, some even with the Kona 3; I am just unclear as to how.

Thanks In Advance!
~Athen

Return to posts index

szumlins
Re: Mackie 1402 and Kona3
on Apr 22, 2007 at 2:44:22 pm

If you wanted to use an outboard mixer with more than 2 channels on a Kona 3, you could use an AJA ADA4 mini converter for 4 channels of XLR analog audio or 2x ADA4's and use all 8 of your AES outputs on the Kona 3.

---

--

-Mike

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Apr 22, 2007 at 3:19:41 pm

You could possibly use it as a monitor too...Plug the analog mix from the Kona into the Mackie as well as other devices like decks, etc.
Other than that, to use it as a router for example, you will need a D/A converter as advised.

The beauty with the 1402 is you can configure it to work anyway you want.

Return to posts index

athenross
on Apr 22, 2007 at 9:57:16 pm

Thank you for both SO much! So, I can get at least 4 channels of audio with the converter? Fantastic. Would this allow me to also use the mixer as a control surface, or would I need a separate product that combines the two?

Thanks again!
~Athen

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Apr 23, 2007 at 1:38:20 am

I have a Mackie Control Surface. This is different from a mixer in that you're dealing with data only! The MCU uses MIDI.
I think Tascam makes a mixer/control surface combo, but I have no experience or no anyone who's worked with it. You can probably do a search in the FCP forum.

I run both a Mackie MCU and a 1402.

Return to posts index

athenross
on Apr 23, 2007 at 1:53:44 am

Aha. Okay, thanks Ronnyron! It appears that the Tascam FW-1082 would probably be a better way to go.

Thanks again!
~David

Return to posts index

mbloodgood
on Apr 23, 2007 at 2:08:02 am

Get the 1884. It has more industry standard plugin options plus 5.1 monitoring and word clock. I got mine for $720 from a music store that sells used equipment on ebay. Tascam gear is like a Mac, refurbs are an excellent value.

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Apr 23, 2007 at 2:09:14 am

Yeah...it should work. I'm all about brand loyalty...so the mackie was a no-brainer since I've been working with it for years both in my studio and in others. I'm sure the Tascam is fine...just do some research on the FCP forums...I seem to remember some minor glitches with FCP (which I'm sure are probably fixed by now with the "dot" updates).

Ron

PS: if you go to the Mackie website, it looks like they are about to put out a new line of Mackie control surfaces. (new mixers too)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 23, 2007 at 1:23:52 pm

Athen -
The AJA Kona 3 does not have analog audio inputs. If you are using Digital VTR's, like Digi Beta, pro DV decks like the DSR-1500, or various HD VTR's, this is the correct product for you. The Mackie 1402 is a teriffic inexpensive audio mixer, and is used for AUDIO MONITORING in this application. If you need to input analog sources into your Kona 3, a different digital audio mixer will solve nothing for you. You still can't get analog video into the Kona 3. For example, if you need Beta and VHS into your Kona 3, it aint'gonna work without converters. If you buy a converter, like the AJA HD10AVA, or buy an AJA I/O, these have analog inputs, and can convert the analog signal to a digital signal with embedded audio. These products can also be monitored using your existing Mackie 1402. I see no reason why you should buy a different audio mixer for this application - the Mackie 1402 is a teriffic product, and is widely used by many editors. No audio mixer is going to let you get analog video into your Kona 3, and most AJA converters will do the A/D conversion for your audio AS WELL as your video - IF that is what you require.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Danrnw
on Apr 23, 2007 at 5:25:43 pm

Bob,
What are the delay issues, if any, dealing with monitoring KONA 3 digital audio
through a converter into the 1402? Or do people generally just use the RCA
outputs into the 1402 for monitoring?

And going from a BetaSP deck, through a converter to SDI video and audio into the KONA 3? Is there a known number of frames the timecode will be off between the tape and the resulting SDI converted signal?

Dan

Return to posts index

AthenRoss
on Apr 25, 2007 at 12:59:51 am

Hi Bob,

It appears that the 1402 will only work with the Kona3 via the ADA4 converter. It also will only work as a mixer, and not as surface control. It might be better for me to go with a sort of two-in-one option like a Tascam model.

Am I right in these thoughts, or did I completely misunderstand your post?
Thanks!
~Athen

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Apr 25, 2007 at 3:00:59 pm

The mixer side of the Tascam is also analog, so you will still need converters to get sound in and out of the Kona3. The Control Surface side is firewire, I believe, so that's fine.

Return to posts index

AthenRoss
on Apr 25, 2007 at 6:48:10 pm

Ah yes. Well, that would be better still, I would think, rather than paying for two separate hardware tools.

Thanks again!
~Athen

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 27, 2007 at 1:45:53 am

there is no delay when monitoring off the RCA jacks on the K3 box audio monitor outputs. You DO NOT need the ADA4, or ANY digital to analog audio converters, as this is EXACTLY what the 2 RCA jacks are for on the K3 box - they convert your audio into a simple Left/Right analog audio monitor output. If you are doing 5.1 surround sound, this will not be sufficient, but 99% of the editors out there are still just monitoring in stereo.

Any of these cheap mixers are not control surfaces, but I have never seen anyone use the JL Cooper controllers on the AVID systems (people bought them, but they never used them), and I have never seen anyone use the Mackie HUI (and other surface controllers) when using the FCP application. So you are certainly welcome to purchase a surface controller, but it's just not popular. People simply want to monitor the audio, and your actual audio is send via the video cable (embedded audio), so you are not worrying about the audio path - either analog or AES - it's all in embedded in the video signal. You use the Mackie 1402 for nothing other than to monitor your audio signal out of the Kona 3 - using the RCA jacks !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Danrnw
on Apr 27, 2007 at 3:53:01 am

I would also use the 1402 for mic inputs, or other audio inputs,
but to do that you would need A to D converters,
because the K3 has no analog audio (or video) inputs
correct Bob? AJA has converters you recommend?

Dan

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 28, 2007 at 6:23:50 pm

Dan -
we can sit here for another 20 posts discussing this. Stop with the external converters - if you have ANALOG sources, bite the bullet, and buy an AJA I/O LA, and be done with it. You will have absolutely everything you need, for $995. Like I said, we can sit here, and say "well, you can spend $300 for this, and $400 for that", but in the end, owning an I/O , and the Kona 3 is fantastic. If you were starting from ground zero, you would simply buy an I/O HD today, and have everything. But you already own the wonderful Kona 3, and you must deal with analog sources. Do yourself a favor- stop listening to everyone elses advice - buy an AJA I/O box, and have every analog input possible available to you, that you can think of.

Bob ZElin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]