FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 10-bit capture problem

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gedits
FCP 10-bit capture problem
on Apr 5, 2007 at 4:37:51 pm

Sorry in advance for all the discombobbled info.

I'm attempting to capture a 1080 59.54i HDCAM tape, through an AJA Kona 3 card, and into Final Cut Pro HD. The Kona 3 card control panel reads a 1080i 29.97 10-bit YUV signal coming in over HD-SDI. In Final Cut I set my sequence and capture presets for AJA Kona 3 1080i 29.97 10-bit. I'm not using a RS-422 control cable between the Kona card and Sony HDW-500 deck, so I have the capture set up for non-controlable device. The sinal coming into FCP's basic log and capture window looks smooth. When I hit capture now and the large capture window appears it's jerky (somewhat normal to capturing). I make the capture and play it back in my sequence and it is all jerky. It's jerky in the same spots every time, with audio very out of sync. The reference monitor off the deck shows a smooth in-sync image. However, the captured video to the computer is all messed up. I tried downconverting the footage after import and that was jerky also. At last resort I imported it at 8-bit and that was still jerky. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

quad core 2.5 GHz G5 4gig RAM / Final Cut Pro HD 5.1.4 / Capturing to XSERVE RAID / Aja Kona Card 3 / Sony HDW-500 HDCAM deck

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: FCP 10-bit capture problem
on Apr 5, 2007 at 5:22:41 pm

Download and install the AJA Kona SYStem Test (it's free). Run a test to see how fast your Raid is running and post back.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gedits
on Apr 5, 2007 at 6:54:12 pm

I did the test with thses options:

-Disk Read/Write
-File Size of 4 GB
-Video Frame Size of 10-bit
-Disable file system cache "checked"
-Simultaneous KONA DMA "unchecked"

How do I read the results? What's good/What's bad? Should I post the text results? Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 5, 2007 at 7:42:41 pm

What does it say for the read and write?

Return to posts index

gedits
on Apr 5, 2007 at 7:49:59 pm

Write: 92.6 MB/s
Read: 126.6 MB/s

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 5, 2007 at 7:56:16 pm

Too slow for uncompressed 1080i. You need to be running over 200MBsec. You can run DVCPRO HD with those speeds (and then some). If you say you have two stripes showing up on your system, I think you need to stripe those two together for a RAID 5+0 (RAID 50). This is blow away any media you have no there so back up, back early and back often.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 5, 2007 at 9:54:28 pm

Dear Mr. Gedits -
you now see why AJA Kona System test is so important. I have listed several things for you to answer, which you have not. So I will ask again. From this point on, assume nothing, and assume that the person that sold you your system is unknowlegeable about this equipment.

1) If you don't have 14 drives, stripped RAID 50, you aint' gonna do uncompressed HD. Period. If you have 7 drives, if you have 5 drives, it ain't gonna work. If you have 14 drives, but they are not Raided together using Apple Disk Utility as a simple RAID 0 (that makes the RAID 50) - you aint' gonna do uncompressed HD.

2) If your drives are very full, the speed will be low - but yours sound VERY LOW. 2 SATA drives will let you do 120mb/sec, and you are only getting 92mb/sec, so something is VERY wrong.

3) You MUST go into RAID ADMIN, and go into the System Settings, and make sure that CACHE FlUSHING is turned OFF, or you will NEVER get this to work. You should also confirm that you have the latest firmware version from Apple for your Xserve RAID. If this is an older XServe RAID, and you never updated it with your new computer and new OS, you will be screwed. Even after you do this update, the CACHE Flushing is defaulted to ON, and you MUST turn it manually OFF.

If all of this is too painful for you, buy a Cal Digit S2VR SATA array, and away you go to HD land.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 5, 2007 at 5:40:50 pm

My guess is your xRaid is not configured fully and therefor is not fast enough to do a 1080 10bit capture.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

gedits
on Apr 5, 2007 at 6:39:08 pm

Thanks. I'll try the test and post back.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 5, 2007 at 6:51:00 pm

also post how many drives you have in your XServe RAID - 4, 7, or 14. How full is your XServe RAID. How old is your XServe RAID - do you have the latest firmware version. Is your CACHE Flushing disabled in RAID ADMIN ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

gedits
on Apr 5, 2007 at 7:02:41 pm

It's a 14X500gig RAID (two 7drive sides). It's almost 1 year old. I believe it was setup as RAID 5, and not RAID 1. I have two drives that mount to my desktop. I'm not sure on the latest firmware, I'm waiting for an answer from my IT department. I'll look into the CACHE flushing.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 5, 2007 at 9:56:37 pm

It can't be a RAID 5 - each side (each group of 7 drives) must be RAID 5, and both sides (both volumes)must be raided together with Apple Disk Utility to be RAID 0 (striped, OS-X Extended - and NOT JOURNALED !!!!!!). All of this is VERY important, or it will not work.

Check that Cache Flushing - this is critical. You can have everything set up correctly, and if you have Cache Flushing turned on, it will not work !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]