FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing HDV and DVCPro HD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
L.Graveline
Mixing HDV and DVCPro HD
on Apr 5, 2007 at 4:18:53 pm

Hi everyone,
I know this topic have been discussed more than once, but i wasn't able to find an answer to my specific question !!

I'm currently working on a project with DVCPro HD and HDV footage. so i decided to convert everything to DVCPro HD. So I'm wondering how should i convert my HDV footage?

Currently i have 2 options :
1- capturing the HDV tapes via firewire and then convert to DVCPro HD using Final Cut Pro or Compressor
2- capturing the HDV tapes directly to DVCPro HD using a Miranda HD Bridge and the HDSDI on my Kona 2

Since it's a little complicated for me to have access to the Miranda HD Bridge I'm wondering what are the main differences between these options (other than the render time associated with the software conversion).

Also, I'm wondering if there are differences between using the miranda product (which convert firewire signal to HDSDI) and using an analog to digital converter like the AJA HD10AVA

Thanks for sharing your knowledge !!!!!

Lupin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Mixing HDV and DVCPro HD
on Apr 5, 2007 at 6:54:10 pm

#1 - forget working in HDV. You are correct to try to work with DVCProHD, even with the HDV footage.

#2 - if you can't get the Miranda HD bridge, there are many other products that will work for you. The AJA HD10AVA is fantastic. It will not give you RS422 VTR control, but the Miranda control is terrible anyway. If you have a newer HDV VTR like the HVRM25U or the JVC BR-HD50U, you can use the wonderful Convergent Design HD-Connect-MI to convert the HDMI to HD-SDI, and digitize in DVCProHD.

These are all good solutions.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bill Marcellus
on Apr 6, 2007 at 10:57:50 am

Or you can use the Convergent Design HD-Connect LE to capture your footage in the DVCPro HD codec through your Kona. This box takes the Firewire outputting HDV from your HDV deck and converts it to DVCPro HD via HD-SDI out. And it offers RS-422 deck control. And, most importantly, it works.

I have only one client shooting in HDV and this solution makes everything much easier to deal with in post. I got my box off of Ebay for $500 (list is $1495).

Bill

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 6, 2007 at 11:07:54 am

[Bob Zelin] "#2 - if you can't get the Miranda HD bridge, there are many other products that will work for you. The AJA HD10AVA is fantastic."

This is exactly what we use and we simply use Firewire control of our Sony M15U HDV deck.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

L.Graveline
on Apr 6, 2007 at 5:06:28 pm

Thanks for the info,
At least, i now know that i chose the right workflow !!!!!

But i would like to know (mainly in order to increase my general knowledge) if there are differences in the footage quality resulting in these transfer (firewire to HDSDI vs Analog to HDSDI vs HDMI to HDSDI). My guess is that it's a really hard question to answer since it depends on the quality of the converter used, but are there reel differences or does they all give similar results ?

And how good are the software conversion compared to hardware conversion? I know that software conversion are awfully longs, but are the render times the only reason why everyone seems to avoid them at all cost.

Lupin

Return to posts index

Bill Marcellus
on Apr 7, 2007 at 12:45:33 pm

Lupin,

I don't know if there is an appreciable difference in quality between the analog or SDI conversion boxes. I chose the HDConnect LE simply to avoid the extra analog conversion step and remain digital all the way. But, as a fan (and user) of Aja products I am sure that their converter delivers pristine video, too.

Besides, you are starting with HDV so the quality isn't that outstanding to begin with.

Bill

Return to posts index

James Sullivan
on Apr 7, 2007 at 4:31:30 pm

Bob, When you say that the miranda control is bad what does that mean? Does it create unrepeatable captures? Should you be using a Keyspan adaptor for machine control or Firewire on the smaller HDV Decks ?(M10U, M25 etc)

Thanks for the info,

James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]