FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
titan3ium
Kona?
on Apr 5, 2007 at 12:34:22 am

Hello to all;
To make this make as much sense as possible I will be brief, I have a Apple G5 2.0 Dual core. I have a Sony HDR-FX1. I bought lumiere HD because I had the old ver. of FCP. I bought FCP 5 to handle my HD needs. I have been working with it testing and the HD doesn't have that HD look. I was told to look into a buying a Kona card and was told that it would take care of that problem. Is this true and if so I went to AJA's website and was curious on what card would be best to buy?

Thanks for any and all help;
Chuck

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona?
on Apr 5, 2007 at 12:57:01 am

Kona 3X and LH are the cards for your machine. They are the PCI-X cards for your older model machine. Both cards handle all flavors of HD format in and out.

3X gives you 720p-1080i cross conversion and vice versa, SD to HD Upconversion, HD to SD Downconversion. All inputs are digital only. It does have Component video outputs and if you add the K-Box, you get RCA Audio outputs.

LH gives you HD to SD Downconversion. The LH also has Analog and digital inputs and outputs.

I prefer the Kona 3X because you're ready for anything. We have two Kona 3 systems and one Kona 2 system here in our shop.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on Apr 5, 2007 at 6:15:18 pm

[titan3ium] "I have been working with it testing and the HD doesn't have that HD look."

Can you be more specific? What exactly doesn't look 'HD' about your footage? And how are you monitoring your footage? Are you using a good quality HD monitor?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 5, 2007 at 6:47:33 pm

[Arniepix] "Can you be more specific? What exactly doesn't look 'HD' about your footage? And how are you monitoring your footage? Are you using a good quality HD monitor?"

Good call there, I missed that line. "HD" doesn't really have a specific "look" other than the details are much sharper than SD. HD can look like live TV or film or many variations in between.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 5, 2007 at 6:56:34 pm

wake up Chuck - we are here to help you, people are trying to help you - please resond to their excellent questions.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

titan3ium
on Apr 5, 2007 at 11:19:38 pm

Sorry Bob, was out on a shoot. But you guys nailed it on the head. It doesn't have that film look when I shoot it. I was first excited when I bought Lumiere HD because the result was great and it had that film look (after I went through a great deal of time and work converting it to an XML file) So that is my true concern. That is why I bought FCP 5. And then I was told to just buy a Kona card and it will give me the results I am looking for. For a monitor, run an HDMI cable out of my G5 straight into my HD monitor. It is an element electronics hdtv actually. I have played other HD things off of this and they look good, but when I run from my camera to the monitor it looks like a good tv shot, but when I am working in FCP I just don't see the result I was looking for.

Thanks for all of you help
Chuck

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 6, 2007 at 1:21:31 am

Hi Chuck -
you get the "film look" by having your camera operate at 23.98, and not at 59.94 (Hi def or Standard Def) - no HD Camera - no Sony CineAlta F900 or 950 will look like a "film camera" unless you shoot at 23.98 fps.
Once you do that, if you decide to use filter plug ins to emulate film grain, that's another story - but you won't be happy running at a standard video rate.

I believe that you have not specified your exact work flow.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

titan3ium
on Apr 6, 2007 at 2:40:57 pm

Workflow...not sure if this is what you are asking for but this is what I do right now.
I shoot with a Sony HDR-FX1, then import using apple G5 and FCP 5, when shot in hd i use the sony 1080i 60p setting in FCP edit and put back to tape on the camera.
Hope that is what you are looking for if not let me know

Thanks again to everyone!
Chuck

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 7, 2007 at 6:57:22 pm

[titan3ium] "I shoot with a Sony HDR-FX1"

Chuck,

You're shooting interlaced video at 29.97, just like the old DV camera you probably used to use, but in 16x9 aspect and with several times the resolution. No filmlook there!!! You can apply all kinds of filters and grain, but they will never give you much more for your effort than video with an artificial filmy quality.

As Bob said, the only way to really get what you're looking for is to shoot with a camera that has true 24fps capability.

DRW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]