FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona ATI conflict

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Mackay
Kona ATI conflict
on Apr 4, 2007 at 7:35:52 pm

Is anyone here using the KonaLH card in a dual 2.7mhz G5 along with the ATI X800. I have been unable to get this combo to work. (computer crashes immediately on reboot) AJA has supplied me with a new card but that one was the same. So the issue is with the ATI card. Has anyone here had similar problems and how was it fixed.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona ATI conflict
on Apr 4, 2007 at 8:34:48 pm

I have not seen this conflict. The X800 works with the default MAC OS-X drivers, and does not require special drivers from ATI to run. Are you loading, or downloading any special drivers for this card ?

I know that you will never want to do this, but what I suggest, is that you do a CLEAN INSTALL (that's right - wipe out your boot drive), and reinstall the OS-X, and let the default graphics drivers load. Then load in your Kona software, and I bet you have no problems.

I can tell you that the Kona card will conflict with all kinds of software plugins from different graphics companies, (for After Effects, Media 100, etc.), so I have NO IDEA of what is on your system. If you do the CLEAN INSTALL, and then your Kona, and then FCP, I bet you have a working system. Then load back in your graphics stuff, and once it starts to crash, you will find your problems.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Peter Mackay
on Apr 4, 2007 at 10:08:09 pm

I am using a clean install, In fact i started out with a new HD installed tiger then all the updates. Installed Kona then FCP (No additional plugins yet). The funny thing is if I disconnect one display it works. If I reconnect the display the G5 will not boot up. However installing my friends 9800 card the G5 boots and kona works. there are no additional drivers installed for the ATI. Also all the other PCI slots are empty at the moment

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 4, 2007 at 10:26:19 pm

wow - I am truly stumped - I doubt replacing the Kona will resolve your issues. The X800 was for a PCI-X computer - can you find a 9800 from a mail order house ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 5, 2007 at 3:29:08 am

Uninstall the Kona drivers. Restart. open FCP, then quit it. Reinstall the Kona drivers.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Peter Mackay
on Apr 5, 2007 at 4:11:10 pm

Well Jeremy I just tried your suggestion, and it did not work. I am working with a new HD with a new install of OS X 10.4.9 and a clean install of FCP 5.1.4 I did not install any other parts of the FCP Studio. there are no other PCI cards in the machine and the Kona card is in slot 3. Any other Ideas welcome.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 5, 2007 at 5:21:26 pm

Rereading your posts, you said that connecting only one display works. What kind of displays are you connecting and how many?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lon Keller
on Apr 5, 2007 at 6:18:23 pm

Have you zapped the PRAM and NVRAM?

Lon

Lon Keller
Chief Editor / Producer
Sundog Studios

Return to posts index

Peter Mackay
on Apr 5, 2007 at 8:04:03 pm

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. The current situation is that I have aquired a ATI 9800 special edition card, and after installing the card everything is working as advertised. I would have to surmise that there is a problem with this X800 card that only shows up with the Kona installed (otherwise this card functions perfectly). To answer Jeremy's question I am running 2 Apple 23" Flat screen Cinema displays. for now I will continue like this and maybe return the X800 to ATI for checking. Once again thanks for all the help.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Apr 7, 2007 at 8:34:37 pm

I can say with confidence that you probably have a bad X800. We have a ton of workstations outfitted with the X800 with no issues.

Jeff Bernstein

Digital Desktop Consulting
Apple Pro Video VAR
XSAN Certified

323-653-7611

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]