FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona3 to Io producing an audio pop

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
msacci
Kona3 to Io producing an audio pop
on Apr 4, 2007 at 5:09:26 pm

Here is my workflow. I have a G5 with the Kona3 card, FCP timeline DVCProHD 1080i connected to my laptop via AJA Io. Capturing a 10-Bit Uncompressed file. Downconverting via the Kona3. capturing via FCP as Capture Now.

Footage looks great but somehow audio pops were introduced during the capture.

Any idea on why this would happen and more importantly how can i prevent it.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: Kona3 to Io producing an audio pop
on Apr 4, 2007 at 5:12:34 pm

Two things....

One.... Welcome to the club!

Two... Is you audio coming too hot, maybe?

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 4, 2007 at 8:36:24 pm

please answer this question, as it is VERY important.

When you say "audio pops", do you mean that you hear audio crackle on the output of your Kona 3 ?

Let me know.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

msacci
on Apr 4, 2007 at 9:43:07 pm

Audio is not peaking - peaks at -6db, professionally mastered music.

This process was a mad rush and I didn't catch it. Went back and there are the pops on the audio with the SD timeline. Audio is fine on the HD timeline.

Here is the comment I got from the guy that makes a final master-

"We had several audio pops (at least 10) on the Randy submaster tape. Very strange. Once I delivered the finished master, Dick Connell took it into session at to make repairs. The audio engineer said the waveform on those frames just dipped to zero so he had to repaint the waveform to fix it. I just wanted to let you know before you output the next show."

This is all greek to me but maybe helpful to you guys.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 4, 2007 at 9:48:26 pm

I know you said it's professionally mastered, but it's not an mp3 file is it?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 4, 2007 at 10:29:30 pm

Your workflow is from the G5 with the Kona 3 into a laptop with an I/O.

On the ORIGINAL G5 with the Kona 3 - do you hear any popping or crackling ? Did you transfer the audio out of the Kona K3 KBox RCA analog outputs into the AJA I/O audio inputs, and that is when the popping started ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

msacci
on Apr 4, 2007 at 11:49:13 pm

No it was not a mp3 file.

I'm using embedded audio one cable between Kona3 and Io.

The HD timeline on the G5 has good audio.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 5, 2007 at 1:44:15 am

you state

"The HD timeline on the G5 has good audio. "

Well, forget any suggestions that I may have had! I don't know what is causing your audio popping.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 5, 2007 at 2:10:15 pm

I just read through this. Not sure if it is solved. But there are a couple of contradictions. This first post says that the pops were introduced during capture, but a later post says that the HD timel;ine is fine. I would ask for the TC where the waveforms had to be redrawn. Then I would compare that to the timline and check to see if they are in your timeline. If they are NOT. then check to see if there is any kind of time consistency to the flatlines, Like every certain number of frames or something. If that is the case then I would suspect it is something in the hardware downconvert that is not translating. You could report that to AJA.

If it is in the captured file. Does a recapture produce the same results? Is it HD-SDI in?

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

weevie833
on Apr 5, 2007 at 4:07:25 pm

You might want to check that your reference sync is correct. Any problems with audio popping on OUTPUT usually occurs if I have the wrong reference setup in the Control Panel. I have had to set the DBeta to Video Input as I output too.

If you are saying that the pops were introduced on capture, and the deck and FCP/Kona system were drawing the same sync, I would consider that your source tapes could be bad, if all else tests out OK.

steve covello
double wide post

Return to posts index

msacci
on Apr 5, 2007 at 11:20:09 pm

The "Capture" I'm talking about is into the Io from the Kona3 system, no deck involved at this time. Original HD Capture was from tape to Kona3 system but that audio is not used, I get a Aiff file from Audio engineer that is from his ProTools record.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 6, 2007 at 3:39:59 am

After capture from the K3 to the I/O can you see the flatlines in the waveform in the timeline? or is it on the output of the I/O to the D-Beta.

David

Return to posts index

msacci
on Apr 6, 2007 at 5:14:00 am

In the captured audio before going back to tape.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 6, 2007 at 11:50:27 am

SO it's either a I/o Driver issue or a K3 downconvert issue.

Can you hear the pops if you play back the downconvert? If you can't then it's maybe an I/O driver/firmware issue.

You shouls report this to AJA. But just for fun, change the cable going between the boxes.

David

Return to posts index

matjik
on Apr 9, 2007 at 12:46:50 am

Bob,

I have a Kona2 on a dual 2Ghz G5 PowerPC and get the crackling/popping every once in a while. It usually goes away when I stop playback on the timeline and then start playing again. Never been an issue with output but I've always wondered what causes it. Do you have a fix?

-Matt

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 9, 2007 at 1:40:58 am

Sorry to chime in on Bob's question, but I really think that this is a QuickTIme thing. Just about every QT based NLE package & card combination reports problems similar to this. I used to experience it on the Pipe and Igniter products.

It was a complaint I used to have about QT audio. It did not perform as well as Avid audio while listening at double or triple speed. QT is serving many masters and FCP is only one of them.

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]