FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Monitoring with Kona LHe

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
donnybrook
External Monitoring with Kona LHe
on Apr 3, 2007 at 4:42:14 am

We are putting together a new editing system and need to get an external monitor. I have read about the Panasonic BT-LH1700W and how good it is, but our budget just isn't big enough for it, we need to get one under $2000. We will be using the Kona LHe with FCP. Since it seems to be tougher to find CRTs, we are looking at LCD monitors. I have always used CRTs, like the PVM-14L5 so I am a novice with any LCD monitors. We will primarily be viewing SD with the occasional HD so I need a monitor that will look good with both. What are some other suggestions on monitors? Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: External Monitoring with Kona LHe
on Apr 3, 2007 at 4:27:57 pm

you can get the 50" Panasonic plasma at B+H for under $2000. I just installed a Panasonic BT-LH2600W for an AVID customer that does primarily SD (not HD), to replace their Sony PVM, and 4 hours later, they called me to "get it out of their edit room", because it was unacceptable to them for SD. In my opinion, for STANDARD DEF, the BT-LH series is the "best of the bunch".

SO, what is an "inexpensive " monitor for SD work today - nothing - go to WalMart, and buy a cheap old CRT TV. As for cheap HD monitors, I am a huge fan of the Dell 2407WFP 24" LCD screen, which can be fed by the analog HD Y Pb Pr outputs of the AJA K3 or KL box. The image is teriffic, and costs less than $700 for this monitor. But STANDARD DEF is unwatchable. The combination of this DELL, and your WalMart TV will work just fine.

If you feel like going on ebay, good luck finding a good Sony PVM monitor. NAB is in a few weeks - who knows what the new Sony SDM-2450 will look like in STANDARD DEF - they probably won't even show a SD image (nor will anyone else at NAB). We all feel your pain - most of us CONTINUE to work with Standard Def - with all this HD talk all the time, and you need a monitor - a CHEAP monitor - that does both well. What can I say.

As of April 2007, you have a better chance picking a TV from your local Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal Mart, etc. for a monitor that can display STANDARD DEF to your satisfaction, as any professional LCD or Plasma display. NOW, for HD, that's another story. If you don't have the $$$ for the Panasonic BT-LH series, there won't be a solution. No one is trying to develop a fanstatic LCD monitor for Standard Def.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 3, 2007 at 4:33:55 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/38/857776?

If all you do is occasional HD, then a proper SD monitor will probably suit you better. You can monitor HD while down converting to SD in real time with the Kona card.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

donnybrook
on Apr 3, 2007 at 4:49:03 pm

Thanks for the ideas. Yeah, I kind of thought that it would be a problem. This client usually only works in SD and the existing monitor they were using is starting to go, flashing green every so often. I was thinking of getting a used CRT and bide my time until they fully start using HD in the edit, then get something better. We just need something for good color.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 3, 2007 at 5:05:50 pm

[donnybrook] "I was thinking of getting a used CRT and bide my time until they fully start using HD in the edit, then get something better."

Excellent idea. Hopefully by that time, a better monitor will available in your price point.

Return to posts index

ken hon
on Apr 3, 2007 at 9:56:26 pm

We have a JVC 19" HD CRT monitor that displays both HD and SD really well. Some people don't like these as the colors and brightness are quite as good as the Sony Monitors, but they have the advantage of being cheaper and are still available. On our monitor the brightness settings are just about maxed out to get the color bars right, but it is setup. You can get the 17" version for just under $2000, but need to get the component card to go with it. This nice thing about this card is that it has component in and out, so you can loop the signal through the JVC monitor and onto a 24" Dell like Bob suggested (our Dell is way too bright and can't really be adjusted, so while it looks nice it can't really be used to adjust color very well). Here's a link to the 17" version at ProMax.

http://www2.promax.com/213524?sc=2&category=22519

Aloha,

Ken

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]