FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 and Audio Output

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AthenRoss
Kona 3 and Audio Output
on Apr 2, 2007 at 5:05:32 pm

Hello Kona Gurus,

I have a question in regards to the Kona 3 and outputting audio via the XLR cables. My business partner and I are trying to output footage to a DVCAM DSR-1500A deck. We have sent the video and audio to the deck and have then connected a monitor to the deck for preview. The video plays just fine, the audio is nowhere to be found. It will not play on the monitor and there are no levels showing up on the deck.

We had this same problem with some HD material a short while back. We tried connecting the card to a HDCAM-SR deck and then to a monitor from the deck. Again, video, no audio or levels.

Do I need a breakout box, or is there possibly something we are doing wrong here with the card/cables (which is highly possible since we are still learning this powerful little toy)? We are connecting the XLR/AES cables to the XLR input ports on the deck.

Thanks In Advance!
~Athen

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona 3 and Audio Output
on Apr 2, 2007 at 5:13:26 pm

Those XLR connections are digital audio only. I believe that deck only has Analog XLR inputs.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

AthenRoss
on Apr 2, 2007 at 6:30:52 pm

Y'know, I was thinking about that and mentioned it, but my partner said he thought it was digital, so I decided to check anyway.

Thanks Walter! I wonder if the HDCAM-SR is analog as well, that would seem odd. I'll research that one and check.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 2, 2007 at 6:52:02 pm

[AthenRoss] "Thanks Walter! I wonder if the HDCAM-SR is analog as well, that would seem odd. I'll research that one and check"

Depending on the unit, I would assume it has digital first and analog as an option.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

AthenRoss
on Apr 2, 2007 at 6:58:44 pm

[walter biscardi] "Depending on the unit, I would assume it has digital first and analog as an option."

Just found it! It has XLR as analog and BNC as digital. We need a breakout box for that.
Thanks again, Walter!

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 2, 2007 at 8:17:05 pm

[AthenRoss] "It has XLR as analog and BNC as digital"

The Kona 3 is an all digital card besides the analog video out and the analog audio (in the form of a stereo RCA connection) on the KBox. If you do not have the KBox, the only analog connection you have is an analog video out. The KBox will not get you anything except analog RCA audio. The BNC and XLR cables are all digital.

The Kona LH series has analog video in and out.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

AthenRoss
on Apr 2, 2007 at 8:29:17 pm

Oh I know; I was referring to the HDCAM-SR deck (SRW-5000). That deck has XLR for analog and BNC for digital.

Also, it looks as though the K3Box will allow for 2-channels of RCA audio out. Anymore and we'll need the ADA4, which I believe my partner already has.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 2, 2007 at 8:48:47 pm

Duh, on my part, sorry.

Have fun!

Return to posts index

AthenRoss
on Apr 2, 2007 at 9:44:04 pm

[JeremyG] "Duh, on my part, sorry. "

Oh, no worries! I appreciate the input and any responses!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 3, 2007 at 1:19:53 am

Yo !
The DSR-1500A has an option card called the Sony DSBK-1501. Most people who own the DSR-1500 have this option card. If you own this, forget the analog or AES audio. You can send audio back and forth to the Kona 3 or Kona LHe via SDI embedded audio. Both the DSR-1500A and the expensive Sony HD VTR both support embedded audio.

To monitor analog audio with the Kona 3, simply purchase the AJA K3 Box, and you will get 2 channels of analog audio monitoring for $289.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]