FORUMS: list search recent posts

music video synchronization

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randall2008
music video synchronization
on Mar 30, 2007 at 8:20:16 pm

I am attempting to design a networked computer system that allows me to run Logic Audio and Final Cut Pro in sync on two computers in order to compose music and edit video in tandem. I have tried to incorporate a MIDI Timepiece AV as the sync interface but am unable to send timecode from Final Cut Pro to the MIDI Timepiece.

Has anyone tried to do something like this?

Thank you,

Randall Packer

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: music video synchronization
on Apr 1, 2007 at 11:02:32 pm

This biggest problem you will face is that Final Cut Pro ( for Professional) does not send more than the first frame of timecode information from the timeline. I am not sure why this decision was made by the Final Cut Pro team, but timecode has never been a great friend to FCP.

i would suggest you use a QT movie from FCP in the audio program that you are using. I am assuming that you want to run High rez picture from your timeline while composing in logic. You might best use a DVCPRO reference movie for decent image quality.

I think there are some VTR emulators out there, but I am not sure they would be the best solution.

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

Randall2008
on Apr 1, 2007 at 11:23:15 pm

Thanks David for your response.

If it is true that Final Cut only sends the first frame of time code, how is it that you can hook up a control surface such as the Mackie Universal, which has a SMPTE readout. Is it that it receives the first frame and then counts on its own?

What about the idea of sending timecode as an audio signal on an audio track in Final Cut. The MIDI Timepiece could read that theoretically and then covert it to MIDI Time Code, which Logic understands.

The reason I don't want to bring the video into Logic, is so that I can author back and forth between music and video, without constantly exporting a new movie every time.

I can't believe someone hasn't thought of this!

Randall

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 2, 2007 at 3:22:04 am

Randall,

I own two Aurora products. Back inthe day they put a TC output and input on the breakout box. That was so that you could route a TC signal for that very reason. Somewhere in the infiinte wisdom of Engineering, the FCP team just decided that TC was not that important a signal to route.

Premeire Pro has this feature from the timeline and most Non Liniar apps realize that TC is an important signal. My saying used to be (and still is some days) TIMECODE IS MY LIFE. Maybe a new version of FCP will provide this very usefull feature.

I totally agree with you. It's bush league.

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

Peter Gruden
on Apr 2, 2007 at 11:40:54 am

The fact that only the first TC frame is exported - if that's the case - is nothing to worry about. All professional systems use black burst and word clock generators and once the first timecode address is received, the slave machine usually only follows the generator from that moment on. If analog tape machines are used as LTC source, that's another story.

I have done the same thing as you are trying to do years ago with Matrox Digisuite/Incite and Nuendo using 9pin control. When working with audio, Nuendo was 9 pin master and serial TC clave, when working with video, Nuendo would just follow the LTC from one of the Incite's audio tracks. Working with audio, video would follow, and vice versa.

In a simple setup, FCP would send LTC from one of the audio tracks to Logic (MTP). Both of them must be synced to the same sync source. If Midi TP has video sync input, just hook an composite signal from FCP into it. Also, when you record timecode as an audio signal, the timecode source must be synced to the same sync source.

Peter

Return to posts index

Randall2008
on Apr 4, 2007 at 2:20:31 am

Thanks Peter for your response. I am having some difficulty following your explanation, would it be possible to communicate with you directly? I would like to see if I can understand exactly how the MIDI Timepiece would be configured in relation to one computer running Final Cut Pro and the other running Logic Audio.

Thanks, Randall

Return to posts index

Peter Gruden
on Apr 5, 2007 at 12:26:49 pm

You can contact me at peter.gruden@siol.net
regards,
P

Return to posts index

Peter McAuley
on Apr 2, 2007 at 4:06:31 pm

Hi David

This is off topic but I lost your numbers. Can you give me a call so we can chat.

Peter McAuley

Axyz Edit

petem@axyzfx.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]