FORUMS: list search recent posts

KONA log capture

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
titoheron
KONA log capture
on Mar 29, 2007 at 10:41:37 pm

Has anyone tried it before or if somebody knows if it is posible to capture from single HDSDI to 4:4:4 log color space?

Return to posts index

szumlins
Re: KONA log capture
on Mar 30, 2007 at 1:42:46 pm

Technically, yes, you can...but all you are doing is creating a larger file. Depending on your frame rate, you may have some bigger issues too trying to mix.

Use VTR Exchange and set up your source as whatever you are capturing as (frame rate/frame size) 10-bit. Set your compression to AJA Kona 10-bit LOG RGB Codec. This will allow you to capture single link in a LOG RGB codec. Mixing this footage in the timeline in FCP with 2K or 1080p footage is a different story since FCP needs framerate, framesize, and codec to match. If you have all three, voila, no rendering.

Hope that helps.

---

--

-Mike

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 30, 2007 at 2:00:10 pm

[titoheron] "Has anyone tried it before or if somebody knows if it is posible to capture from single HDSDI to 4:4:4 log color space?"

you cannot capture 4:4:4 over a single channel of HDSDI

and converting single link HDSI (video has a linear color space) into the LOG space will cause some color conversion issues

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

szumlins
on Mar 30, 2007 at 4:19:32 pm

I guess I should have prefaced mine with "you kinda half can, but I wouldn't...and why?"

---

--

-Mike

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 30, 2007 at 5:29:15 pm

[szumlins] "I guess I should have prefaced mine with "you kinda half can, but I wouldn't...and why?""

different way to look at the question.

one can convert 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 but you do not gain anything by doing that.

When you take into account that 4:4:4 = $:$:$ why would you? There is no advantage if the original content was not captured in that manner as changing the chroma space does not create any additional data that was not recorded to begin with.

The Log to Lin conversions are the bigger issue.
a "logarithmic" response where one can modify or "bias" the color and density retention in highlights, mids and shadows separately is very different than a "linear" space where the response treats luma and chroma equally from white to black.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

R.Howard
on Mar 30, 2007 at 5:53:08 pm

Agreed. You gain nothing but a larger file.

We do this all the time for testing performance but other than that it's pointless.

Ramona

Ramona Howard
SpectSoft, LLC
593 Hi-Tech Parkway Suite B
Oakdale, CA 95361
Phone: 209.847.7812 extension 104
Fax: 209.847.7859
http://www.spectsoft.com

RaveHD - Changing the way you think about HD

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Mar 31, 2007 at 1:06:41 am

It's not pointless if you are color correcting for a film recorder in a proper DI environment, and using properly calibrated 3D LUT's to simulate the resulting film print.

I would, however, venture to say that very few people here are doing that. And they're most certainly not doing it on Final Cut Pro.

Return to posts index

R.Howard
on Mar 31, 2007 at 11:47:03 pm

Mike,

Are you following me?.....

Ah yes, did not consider that. Thanks for keeping the information correct, isn't this why you get paid the big bucks :)

Cheers,
Ramona

Ramona Howard
SpectSoft, LLC
593 Hi-Tech Parkway Suite B
Oakdale, CA 95361
Phone: 209.847.7812 extension 104
Fax: 209.847.7859
http://www.spectsoft.com

RaveHD - Changing the way you think about HD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>