Quad 2.7 G5
Kona 2
ATTO 42X 4Gb FC card
Huge System 4410
Aja component to HD-SDI mini-converter
Mac OS X v10.4.9
QT 7.1.3
FCP 5.1.4

Everything was working fine before I did an Erase & Install, and installed the FCS 5.1 crossgrade today. Before this, the client had OS v10.4.6 and FCS 1.

Now, the problem is that when we try to capture from a Sony HDV deck (M25) through the Kona 2, using Kona 2 DVCPRO HD Easy Setup with firewire deck control, the capture won't stop at the out point. Cues up fine, starts capture at the right in point, video shows up on Log & Capture, but then just keeps going like the Energizer Bunny.

Often, when I look at the Capture Preset Editor, it shows the Kona video digitizer and the Audio device as missing. Both drop down menus allow those items to be selected. We've uninstalled the Kona software and reinstalled. We trashed prefs and tried a new project.

Jerry at Aja TS worked with me this evening, without success. He thinks maybe QT is corrupted, so he suggested we update QT to 7.1.5. Client had an appointment this evening, so we have to hit it again tomorrow.

Help?

Brian Conner

Anybody seen such a thing before?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Kona 2 & Deck Control
on Mar 29, 2007 at 1:04:56 am

[Brian Conner] "Jerry at Aja TS worked with me this evening, without success. He thinks maybe QT is corrupted, so he suggested we update QT to 7.1.5. Client had an appointment this evening, so we have to hit it again tomorrow."

Jerry was correct.

FCP 5.1.4 wants QT version 7.1.5 when running under 10.4.9
and make sure you are running the very latest driver.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Brian Conner
on Mar 29, 2007 at 1:37:43 am

Thanks, Gary. I searched high & low for that spec before I left for the client's location this morning, and never found it.

That's great news, my friend.

Return to posts index

Brian Conner
on Mar 29, 2007 at 4:15:56 pm

Well, it looks like the problem is now solved, but updating to QT 7.1.5 wasn't the solution (not that we shouldn't have done that).

My client happened to call an associate about an unrelated matter this morning and mentioned this problem. The guy told him to zap the PRAM. That appears to have been the solution.

Well, he said he also changed the Compressor setting in the Capture Presets Editor to DVCPRO HD 60i compressor. Kona had mistakenly set it to Uncompressed, even though he had selected the Aja Kona DVCPRO HD Easy Setup.

Brian

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 29, 2007 at 1:29:39 am

Hi Brian -
I love seeing you on this forum.
OK, here is an answer for you. Dump the HVRM-25U, and get the HVR-1500 with normal RS422 control. OOOOH ! I crack my self up with this stuff ! (hey, it's only money !). We will look at this next year, and say "did we really
use the HVRM-25 VTR to digitize with !".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 29, 2007 at 1:36:31 am

[Bob Zelin] "OK, here is an answer for you. Dump the HVRM-25U, and get the HVR-1500 with normal RS422 control. OOOOH ! I crack my self up with this stuff ! (hey, it's only money !). We will look at this next year, and say "did we really
use the HVRM-25 VTR to digitize with !"."

Depends on how much you use the HDV format really. I have the M15U and won't be replacing it with the 1500 anytime soon. It's here as a convenience to the clients who shoot with it, but I really don't want to encourage them to keep using the format. I would much rather spend my money on the HDW-1800 than a new HDV deck thingy.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Brian Conner
on Mar 29, 2007 at 1:45:40 am

Yeah boy. That's a fact.

I've been having a heck of a time convincing this client to even spend $150 for a 2nd internal drive in his G5. Today, I gently explained (you'd have been amazed at my self-control) that if he bought one and let me install it, he could clone his boot volume with SuperDuper, do incremental backups, and be instantly ready in case of hard drive failure. I saw a glimmer of agreement that would be a good idea. Sheesh.

I'm pretty sure I'll see you at the Hard Rock Center Bar on NAB Monday night. I've got to go to the Apple Reseller meeting first, and it lasts until 8. If I've got the energy after that, and if I can catch a cab in a reasonable period of time, I'll be there.

Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]