FORUMS: list search recent posts

Analog XLR audio out of breakout box is HOT

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
beenice
Analog XLR audio out of breakout box is HOT
on Mar 27, 2007 at 2:51:33 pm

I was trying to make a Beta dub the other day and I was in a hurry.(I just got the Kona LH Card) I was unable to figure out why when I played bars and tone (44k) out of my Kona LH that the tone was distorted and loud. I was running XLR analog out of the box into a Mackie board and then out again into my Beta deck. To quickly cure my problem, I went analog RCA out of the breakout box and everything was fine. (although I had to boost the levels up a bit on my mackie)

I've looked through the Manual but have had no luck. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
-B

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Analog XLR audio out of breakout box is HOT
on Mar 27, 2007 at 3:18:14 pm

Uhh, what level of bars did you play out of FCP (-20, -12, -6?) and where was your attenuation (aka trim) on your Mackie? Also, you didn't plug in your XLR cables to the XLR inputs of the Mackie, did you? THose are mic level inputs and the Kona XLRs are line level. I bet that's your problem. You need to get a cable the is XLR female on one end and 1/4" TRS on the other and plug that into your mackie.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

beenice
on Mar 27, 2007 at 3:59:23 pm

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nevermind I figured it out.
-B

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Mar 27, 2007 at 9:27:35 pm

What was it?

Return to posts index

beenice
on Mar 28, 2007 at 1:31:43 pm

sorry, My mackie board does not have an option of switching channels from mic to line.
I went straoght to the beta via xlr with no problems.
thanks,
-B

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Mar 28, 2007 at 3:12:54 pm

Yes, there is no option. You have to plug into the 1/4" jack on the mixer. That is a line level input. All you need to do is buy the two cables I mentioned before and you can then use your mixer.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 28, 2007 at 4:23:35 pm

Beenice -
you will find that when you have peak audio in your Beta VTR, your Mackie board will distort (and you will write back asking why your audio sounds terrible). If you plug into the XLR inputs of your Mackie audio mixer, you are plugging into the MIC PreAmp, and the trim controls on the top of every channel CANNOT attenuate the audio signal low enough to prevent peak distortion. The only way to get around this, is to use the mixer properly, which is to plug the XLR output of your Beta VTR into the 1/4" Stereo Tip Ring Sleve phone jack on the Mackie Mixer.

If you dont' do this, let me assure you, will will hear "crappy audio" which is peak distortion, that YOU are creating - not AJA.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

beenice
on Mar 30, 2007 at 6:16:57 pm

Thanks "JeremyG" I don't have anymore "crappy audio"

I like using quotes too.

-B

Return to posts index

beenice
on Mar 30, 2007 at 6:17:04 pm