FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scared about reinstalling FCP 5.0

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Grossberg
Scared about reinstalling FCP 5.0
on Mar 25, 2007 at 9:21:13 pm

As my previous posts about prefs and capturing show, I think I'm in deep do-do. It looks like something has gone corrupt in the depths of my FCP and that the only solution will be to reinstall. I shudder at the thought of doing this because I'm smack in the middle of a big uncompressed HD project and I'm scared of losing stuff . . . and precious time. Could someone please give me pointers on what I need to watch out for if I do a total reinstall? How much of my work am I at risk of losing, and what precautions should I take? And is it true I don't have to uninstall but just reinstall right over top of my current installation? And will I have to reinstall my Kona 3 after reinstalling FCP? You can see I'm nervous. Thanks for any help. --Fred

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Scared about reinstalling FCP 5.0
on Mar 26, 2007 at 1:24:31 am

I dont' blame you for being nervous. There is a big difference between reinstalling the AJA drivers, and reinstalling FCP. If I was you, and I had a paying client that would kill me if I lost the project, I would be very nervous about doing this mid project.

With that said, it is easy to uninstall the Kona drivers (download the uninstall from the AJA support page), then trash your FCP preferences, restart FCP, then download the AJA drivers from the AJA support site, and you will hopefully be ok. If for whatever reason you are forced to do a FCP reinstall (which is a manual process and a pain in the ass), you better backup your project data onto a CD.

I have never solved a FCP problem by simply reinstalling FCP ontop of itself.

If you think that you are screwed, and you have a big money project on your system, rent a MAC G5, put FCP on it, install the AJA card in this box, and work this way. Once you have a "temporary" working system, you can now do a ground zero install on your MAC G5 (which is always best by starting with the OS reinstall as a CLEAN install, then FCP, then the AJA stuff). This way , you blow away everything from your MAC, and have the "rental" unit there, already working. NOW, move the AJA card back into your G5, and try your project - bet it works. Return the rental (it was only for 1 day), and you are back in business.

But I bet that trashing your FCP preferences, and reloading the AJA drivers is all this takes, and you dont' need to do the ground zero install.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Fred Grossberg
on Mar 26, 2007 at 4:20:34 am

Oh gosh I was afraid someone would say that, and since it comes from you, Bob, I take it very very seriously. Let me try one more time to describe my problem in the hope that you or someone else can solve it and spare me the agony of reinstalling FCP.

Here are the results of a test that pinpoints the problem. I make a one-clip DVCPro HD 720p/59.94 sequence and use the Media Manager Make Offline function to create a new 10-bit 4:2:2 uncompressed project with the offline clip and the same sequence. I recapture the clip uncompressed from D5. That goes fine, but at the end of the process I get the error message, "Reconnect Media Failed. An unknown error occurred when trying to connect the clip to the newly acquired media." The clip is still offline, although the media has been captured. I know that because I can drag it into the Browser and it plays back fine. So I try something else. I take this new Browser clip offline and do a Reconnect Media. That works. Then I put the clip into a sequence where it plays fine. Then I take the clip offline again. Then when I try to Reconnect Media either in the Browser or the Timeline, I get the error message:

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Mar 26, 2007 at 12:26:03 pm

[Fred Grossberg] "I've tried trashing my prefs, but each time I do that, FCP Rescue keeps saying my prefs are corrupt."

Fred,

Are you trashing prefs and then reinstalling a saved version from FCP Rescue? If that's the case, it may be that the file was already corrupt when you saved it via FCP Rescue, and you are now reinstalling a corrupt file.

Why not try trashing the prefs and letting final cut create a new one..... AFTER you clone your system drive as per DRW's suggestion.

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

Fred Grossberg
on Mar 26, 2007 at 1:55:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but, no, I'm not restoring saved prefs. I let FCP regenerate them each time. But FCP Rescue still says they're corrupt. --Fred

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Mar 26, 2007 at 2:51:55 pm

FCP 5.0 had a problem capturing 720p 59.94 media. You should update to the latest version of FCP and this problem goes away. As it is now, your media probably captures but doesn't show up in your bin, so you have to reimport (not reconnect) all the clips from your capture scratch.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 26, 2007 at 6:19:02 am

Fred,

So much much worry, so little to worry about. The answer is so very simple. Just get yourself a single external firewire drive ($165 anywhere) and clone your system drive to the new drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. Now, before proceeding, make certain that the clone will boot. Now, put it aside and stop worrying.

Now, do whatever you feel like without fear. Reinstall everything from scratch on your original drive if you want. Or, if you feel better trying to reinstall peices of software and drivers, do that and see if it works. The world is your oyster -- anything you want to do or need to do is yours without a concern in the world. If all Hell breaks loose all you need to do is boot the firewire drive and clone it back to your system drive and you'll be right back where you started.

DRW

Return to posts index

Fred Grossberg
on Mar 26, 2007 at 4:02:48 pm

David: Many thanks for your suggestion and above all for the encouragement. Your post made me feel a lot better and I've just downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner. One question: how do I boot from the FW drive if my main drive is still the boot drive?
Thanks --Fred

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 26, 2007 at 4:39:36 pm

[Fred Grossberg] "how do I boot from the FW drive if my main drive is still the boot drive?"

Excellent Fred!!! I was hoping that you'd get my subtle message. If everyone cloned their system drive however the traffic on this forum would be cut in half... Not so sure the Lindebooms would appreciate that???

In any case, to boot from a different drive you go to the SYSTEM PREFERENCES - STARTUP DISK and you will see both disks depeicted above. Select the clone, which hopefully you will identify by naming it something like "System Clone 3-26-07" and tell it to boot to that drive. If ever it should fail to boot to the clone when you test, I had only one tat did, you just take that drive off line and reboot, the old system drive will automatically reboot.

Once you get this whole clone and boot from different disk paradygm you'll wonder why you ever worried about a thing. I always have a a bootable clone tucked away nearby and knpow that if all goes south I can be up and running again in less than a minute.

DRW

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Mar 26, 2007 at 4:44:00 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "In any case, to boot from a different drive you go to the SYSTEM PREFERENCES - STARTUP DISK and you will see both disks depeicted above. "

You can also simply hold down the option button at startup and choose to boot from the firewire drive.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Fred Grossberg
on Mar 26, 2007 at 2:04:21 pm

One strange thing I notice about my prefs. I see com.apple.FinalCut Pro.plist and in the Final Cut Pro User Data folder I see Final Cut Pro 5.0 Prefs and Final Cut Pro Obj Cache. But I don't see Final Cut Pro Prof Cache. Is that last file always supposed to be there, or does FCP only create it when I make a certain change to my preferences inside the program? --Fred

Return to posts index

Lon Keller
on Mar 26, 2007 at 4:58:04 pm

Hello Fred,

Some of the problems you've been describing makes me think you're having directory issues with your media drives and/or the main hard drive on your Mac. Try getting a copy of Disk Warrior and check your drive directories. That program has saved me more than once.

Good luck!
Lon

Lon Keller
Chief Editor / Producer
Sundog Studios

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]