FORUMS: list search recent posts

old Kona 2 Card

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
theguybehindtheguy
old Kona 2 Card
on Mar 24, 2007 at 6:30:27 pm

I have a question regarding and old kona 2 card. it a the Kona SD card 2.1 the review can be found here. http://www.creativecow.net/articles/solorio_marco/kona/index.html. I now this card with work in older G4 systems. However I have a G5. I installed the card, and it is recognized in my system profiler. I know I need a serial device for deck control, However Im not getting video into the machine at all. I suspect the card is not compatable my sytem. Can some one guide me in the right Direction In either If this card will work with the right drivers, or the best inexpensive card for my system. I know that inexpensive and AJA dont go together but from my undersrtanding they are the best cards On the Market. My goal is to output to DV cam or DVCpro Since those are the formats that I seem to often. Thank your for your time,

Mark Dershowitz
Powermac G5 Dual 1.8 mhz
6 gigs ram
G5 jive
ATI Radeon X800 XT

Return to posts index

msacci
Re: old Kona 2 Card
on Mar 24, 2007 at 7:40:07 pm

[theguybehindtheguy] "DV cam or DVCpro"
What decks are you using, these are firewire codecs, no cards needed, unless you are wanting to edit uncompressed and capture via SDI.

How you looked on AJA web site for drivers and info. The card is a PCI-X and a G5 is required, your specs are a little off.

Return to posts index

theguybehindtheguy
on Mar 24, 2007 at 8:40:36 pm

I tried looking for drivers on the Aja and Blackmagic web site. I cant seem to find them any where. if you have any if info on the drivers that would be great. thanks for all your advice.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 24, 2007 at 7:46:16 pm

Mark -
I want you to stop this right now. The card you have is a Kona SD, not a Kona 2. This card has serial digital video inputs and outputs, not analog component or composite video inputs and oututs. Buying analog to digital, and digital to analog converters for both the audio and video would cost you a fortune - it's cheaper to buy the right product that you need.

The old Kona SD card still has drivers available for it, that are written by Blackmagic Design, but again, even if you get it working, it's all SDI in and out, which is useless for your Panasonic DVCPro 50 VTR's and standard DV VTRs.

both AJA and Blackmagic make cards that will work for you. If you have a MAC G5, the cheapest thing you can get that will work with both old and new MAC G5's is the AJA I/O LA. It's about $995, and you may find it cheaper at mail order discount places. If your next question is "isn't there something for about $200 - $300 bucks" - the answer is no.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

theguybehindtheguy
on Mar 24, 2007 at 8:38:26 pm

Thanks for the info Bob. No Im not gonna ask, if there is a 200-300 dollar Card I know theres not. thats all I need to know. Yes I would like to work in Uncompressed it looks so much better. I know it dosent make sense to, Since the codes that are in my workflow are firewire devices, and why take up the extra drive space. Thanks for talking the time to respond. Im sort of new to the level above firewire. But I would really like to make the leap to the uncompressed world of video even If I dont need to. Mark Dershowitz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]