FORUMS: list search recent posts

Non-video apps on video computer

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kat
Non-video apps on video computer
by
on Mar 24, 2007 at 3:45:49 pm

For years, I kept my video computer as free of non-video apps as possible -- had separate computer for internet, design, etc. Is this still necessary? Things less touchy now?

I'm upgrading from my Aurora IgniterX and will probably get an AJA product. (I posted about my upgrade here some time ago but had postponed purchase.)

Thanks,
Kat

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Non-video apps on video computer
on Mar 24, 2007 at 5:53:37 pm

no - things are VERY touchy now. A common crash of the AJA products is non compatible plug in's in the
preferences folders, along with the FCP preferences. People that have all kinds of crap on their computers have all kinds of issues. This not only applies to "video games", etc., but incompatible graphics plug ins. Be very aware of what you have on your computer and know how to uninstall it, if it causes problems.

So, can you run Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, etc. on your MAC - of course you can. Can you run Microsoft EXCEL and WORD - of course you can. Just be careful of what you do, and be aware of what you are putting on your computer.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Mar 25, 2007 at 4:29:42 pm

I echo what Bob says...you don't want to install any and every application on your edit system... you may also want to uninstall apps you're not using anymore.

With that said, the only apps I'm running outside of edit and design software is the MS Office suite....which comes in very handy with scripts (Word), occasional EDL's (Excel), and PowerPoint (clients).
No problems so far.

Return to posts index

Kat
by
on Mar 26, 2007 at 2:33:40 pm

Thanks, guys. Sounds like I'd better continue to keep things separate.

Kat

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]