FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pristine Kona 3 in Pristine Mac Pro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael brennan
on Mar 24, 2007 at 9:45:20 am

Im new to NLEs Mac Pro and capture cards (!) and am doing a test on a brand new Mac Pro and brand new Kona 3.
Im testing it to capture direct from a HD camera.

I installed FCP studio and Kona software.
No other additional software installed.

I installed the Kona card, the green light on the edge of the card is illuminated

But the Kona toolbox thingey can't see the card, it says no software or no card installed.

FCP comes up with Kona as an option for input but it cant find a video signal.
Checked frame rate of camera (1080i 50i)

A mac utility tells me that the PCI slot is occupied but doesn't say it is a Kona card just something like "PCI feeder". (is this normal?)

I've changed slots, rebooted and reinstalled Kona software and rebooted
100% sure I am sending it video direct from a HD camera using new Kona cables.
No other cables connected(the one with all the audio plugs and reference)

Does it need a reference signal to work?

Ist time I've installed a card so the solution is probably on the 101 shelf rather than top shelf.
Given that it is the first time the Mac Pro was switched on is there something that needs to be tweaked?

Help!

Mike

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Pristine Kona 3 in Pristine Mac Pro
on Mar 24, 2007 at 11:28:44 am

[Michael brennan] "But the Kona toolbox thingey can't see the card, it says no software or no card installed.

FCP comes up with Kona as an option for input but it cant find a video signal.
Checked frame rate of camera (1080i 50i)

A mac utility tells me that the PCI slot is occupied but doesn't say it is a Kona card just something like "PCI feeder". (is this normal?)

I've changed slots, rebooted and reinstalled Kona software and rebooted
100% sure I am sending it video direct from a HD camera using new Kona cables.
No other cables connected(the one with all the audio plugs and reference)"

I'm assuming you followed the directions that came with the card in terms of which slot you put the card in to, and then you set up the Express Slot Utility as directed as well.

Did you download the latest drivers from the AJA website or did you use the CD that came with the card? Always download the latest drivers from aja.com.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 24, 2007 at 1:31:02 pm

forget putting a video signal into your Kona. Forget FCP for now. Put the Kona 3 card into slot 3 of your computer, load the AJA Kona software, and open up the AJA Kona Control Panel. Does it see the card ?
Go to the Control tab, and select a test pattern, and look at the output on your monitor - do you see a picture ?

Don't confuse yourself with all the MAC stuff, the external camera stuff, and the FCP stuff. Just concentrate on the Kona by itself, in slot 3, and just use the Kona Control panel for your tests for now.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Brennan
on Mar 24, 2007 at 3:34:07 pm

Thank you Walter and Bob!!

despite being fresh out of the box the installation software on Kona website is newer.

Mac and Me now purring like a kitten

cheers

Mike Brennan

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on Mar 25, 2007 at 6:07:15 pm

[Michael Brennan] "despite being fresh out of the box the installation software on Kona website is newer."

I find that is often the case with pretty much anything. I rarely install drivers from the disks that come included, I usually visit the maker's website to get the latest drivers there. PCIe cards, printers, whatever- may have been packaged weeks or months earlier, and manufacturers may (should?) be working to constantly refine the drivers.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 25, 2007 at 6:16:23 pm

[Michael Brennan] "despite being fresh out of the box the installation software on Kona website is newer."

This is almost always the case with AJA as they are very quick to update their drivers to match Apple's updates. With so many CD's pre-printed it's doesn't make sense to keep re-doing the CD's with each update.

Pretty much any product I buy anymore I never install the drivers that come with it and go to the company websites instead. Too many changes with all the OS and FCP updates, it's just a good idea to always download the latest drivers.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]