FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sizing (Black edges) w Kona 8bit Uncompressed Codec

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Wild
Sizing (Black edges) w Kona 8bit Uncompressed Codec
on Mar 19, 2007 at 1:24:06 am

Our shop usually only does corporate and offline for broadcast, but we are now doing something for Discovery Health. Needless to say, I'm paying a little more attention to technical things in FCP. Here's one for you guys:

I noticed a very small black line along both edges of the 720x486 uncomprssed 8 Bit frame. You, of course, wouldn't see this on a monitor, but I'm doing horizontal push slides on pictures, which is doubling the black area and is very visible when it's sliding across frame. Is this right and does it do this for everyone? I captured straight component from a Beta deck. I noticed under "Distort" setting, that everything is -360 x -243. On each parameter, I had to add 6 (or subract 6) to lose the black edge.

Anyone have any ideas?

***UPDATE***
I just noticed that other footage from DV is fine horizontally, but 720 x 480 so not vertically. But some other field tapes were full-frame and correct. I guess this means that the studio tapes were recorded with the black edges. They were using a new SDI switcher, so god knows what happened. But this did bring up a few questions:
-Do you guys think the edge issue will get kicked out of QC?
-What do you do when you have DV ftg in an SD timeline? Do you usually scale it up to fit 720 x 486?

Thanks.

Kevin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Sizing (Black edges) w Kona 8bit Uncompressed Codec
on Mar 19, 2007 at 2:18:17 am

[Kevin Wild] "Do you usually scale it up to fit 720 x 486?"

Nope. Leave it alone and don't scale. It won't get rejected, at least nothing that I have has been rejected for such and I have put out a lot of stuff that was originated DV50 (720x480) and onlined in uncompressed (720x486).

NOthing for Discovery Health though.

I'd leave the scaling alone as the blanking is normal.

Return to posts index

Cofe
by
on Mar 20, 2007 at 5:13:21 am

I work in PAL but I know for sure that the blanking (or what you call black sides) when captured from analoge Beta SP is to wide and will be rejected.
That said I assume you're mastering on DigiBeta. If you master on BetaSP it doesn't matter if you capture BetaSP.
Best to send them a quick test tape or have it independently checked by a trusted post house.
Cofe

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Mar 20, 2007 at 5:26:43 pm

So how would you deliver a letterbox beta then?

Return to posts index

Cofe
by
on Mar 21, 2007 at 12:49:55 am

not sure what you mean??
If you refer to the black at top and bottom then this is a completly different issue and no problem.
If not...

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Mar 21, 2007 at 2:51:10 am

He said that everything is fine horizontally but not vertically.

He is looking at the difference between 720x480 and 720x486 footage. What he is seeing in normal.

Or do I have that wrong, Kevin?

Return to posts index

Cofe
by
on Mar 21, 2007 at 5:55:45 am

Re-reading his post he talks about both horizontally and vertically :-)
Kevin help us out here!

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Mar 21, 2007 at 6:10:32 am

Sorry to disappear, guys. The first problem I had was the vertical banding on the left and right of the screen. Basically, I noticed that the blanking was a pretty large area. I had an engineer look at it today and while it's close to illegal, I think it will work. I put a tape up on their scopes and have determined that the issue was probably the switcher and how it was recorded to tape during the live show. SO...no problems with that anymore.

However, I am still wondering what you guys do to compensate for the difference between DV based 720x480 footage and SD based 720x486 footage. I'm mixing it pretty regularly between beta stuff and DV. Do you size up a couple percent so you don't have the 6 lines of black at the top?

Thanks for your help!

Kevin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Mar 21, 2007 at 3:12:00 pm

[Kevin Wild] " put a tape up on their scopes and have determined that the issue was probably the switcher and how it was recorded to tape during the live show."

That makes perfect sense...

[Kevin Wild] "Do you size up a couple percent so you don't have the 6 lines of black at the top?"

No, I leave it as is. Why would you size up? Do you need to show this program raster to raster? If so, I'd simply put a mask on the 486 footage to match the 480 footage, that way you aren't changing aspect, even if it is only a small percentage.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]