FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mastering to Panasonic HD130 - Unable to perfrom black and code.

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeffersonchaney
Mastering to Panasonic HD130 - Unable to perfrom black and code.
on Mar 16, 2007 at 8:14:50 pm

I am trying to lay black on a DVCPRO HD tape from the Edit to Tape window in Final Cut (version 5.1.4) and I get the following message:

"Unable to Perform Black and Code. The tape appears to be write protected."

I am using KONA 2 connected via HD SDI with audio embedded and controlling with RS-422.

The record inhibit switch on my deck is off and the tab on the tape is set to record.

Does anyone know what could be causing this error?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Mastering to Panasonic HD130 - Unable to perfrom black and code.
on Mar 16, 2007 at 8:20:55 pm

Can that deck be controlled via RS-422 during Edit to Tape? The 1200A cannot, it must be controlled via Firewire.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

jeffersonchaney
on Mar 16, 2007 at 8:26:13 pm

Yes. I do have deck control via the RS-422 during Edit to Tape. The Panasonic HD 130 doesn't even have a firewire input.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 16, 2007 at 9:44:11 pm

The HD-130 is like the AJ-HD1200A - it does not have the ability to do insert edits or assemble edits - just crash records. Panasonic used to make the "mate" for this product - the HD-150, which offered the ability to do insert and assemble edits. Bottom line - you can't do it.

This not only applies to the HD-130, but other "cheap" VTRs from Sony and Panasonic, that include the AJ-HD1200A, the Sony HDW-S280, and the analog Sony DSR-45.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 17, 2007 at 6:19:20 pm

[Bob Zelin] "The HD-130 is like the AJ-HD1200A - it does not have the ability to do insert edits or assemble edits - just crash records."

Yes, the 1200A can do Assemble Edits. That's how I laid off over 40 broadcast HD masters with accurate Timecode. You MUST control it via Firewire to do this, but it can be done and it's quite easy once you figure out the offset.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

jeffersonchaney
on Mar 19, 2007 at 6:24:14 pm

Crash edit, I did. Fortunately this wasn't for duplication or broadcast. I'll just have to rent an appropriate deck when I do that.

Thanks guys, for your comments!!!!

Return to posts index

Steve Mahrer
on Mar 19, 2007 at 6:46:20 pm

To All:

With respect to: "Yes, the 1200A can do Assemble Edits. That's how I laid off over 40 broadcast HD masters with accurate Timecode. You MUST control it via Firewire to do this, but it can be done and it's quite easy once you figure out the offset""

It is imperative to understand that the AJ-HD1200 CANNOT perform proper i.e. technically correct insert or proper assemble edits, period! This is a lingering confusion that can cause bad program masters and possible high errors i.e. A/V concealment or breakup at at "edit points". The 1200 does not have the required flying erase heads to clean out the tape before recording, thus any "forced" edit like functions may not play correctly on other decks... This is the very reason we came out with the 1400 deck, that deck has full editing capability and can perfom both insert and assemble edits.

Editing with the 1200 deck in this fashion is a bit like playing Russian Roulette... Click... "phew, lucky so far..." Click.... "phew, lucky so far..." What happens when you aren't so lucky, your master tape will clitch and corrupt audio / video upon plyback, this is not good for you, your client, nor the industry.

Sorry rant over!

Steve Mahrer (Panasonic Broadcast)

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 19, 2007 at 8:40:05 pm

[Steve Mahrer] "It is imperative to understand that the AJ-HD1200 CANNOT perform proper i.e. technically correct insert or proper assemble edits, period! This is a lingering confusion that can cause bad program masters and possible high errors i.e. A/V concealment or breakup at at "edit points". The 1200 does not have the required flying erase heads to clean out the tape before recording, thus any "forced" edit like functions may not play correctly on other decks... This is the very reason we came out with the 1400 deck, that deck has full editing capability and can perfom both insert and assemble edits."

This is why you simply make one edit on the tape, at the head of Bars and Tone. That's precisely what I did with all of those show masters.

As for the 1400, hopefully you guys will fix that audio bug when laying back to it via Firewire. I love the deck overall, but that's a huge issue for us right now, full details in the Varicam forum.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]