Mac Pro Software-Raid

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eric
Mac Pro Software-Raid
by
on Mar 16, 2007 at 5:49:37 pm

Hello,

has anybody running a software-only raid in his mac pro? I want to set up a raid-0 but maybe also a raid-3.
has anybody testet this before? How does it compare?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Mac Pro Software-Raid
on Mar 16, 2007 at 7:42:21 pm

You will only be able to run raid0, not raid3.

Look to barefeats.com for tests of this setup.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on Mar 16, 2007 at 8:42:14 pm

You cannot make RAID 3 (or RAID 5) in software. Only RAID 1 or RAID 0 can be made in softare.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 16, 2007 at 10:00:30 pm

RAID 3 is a hardware RAID, which is availabe from companies like HUGE Systems (now Ciprico on this forum), and Medea (now AVID storage products). RAID 3, and RAID 5 systems (and newer RAID 6 and RAID 50) are all hardware based controllers, and you don't get them for free.

There are RAID 5 controllers for SATA, but they are clunky, compared to the "auto rebuild" products that exist for HUGE, Medea, and Apple XServe RAID. These products come from companies like Highpoint Technologies. I am sure that very soon, RAID 5 SATA arrrays will exist, that will be "easy to use" like current products from Medea and HUGE.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Mar 17, 2007 at 5:37:53 pm

Thanks,

the test-results at barefeats are rather puzzeling. I want to use the internal raid for video, with a separate, single bootdrive. Backup will be done on other external drives. The machine will be used mainly for SD work. So I guess raid 0 will be ok. If we plan to do any serious HD we will investigate in a G Speed or a caldigit.
Bummer, that a Mac pro with 4 internal drive bays has no raid-ability at that price point.

CU

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 17, 2007 at 6:18:03 pm

[eric] "Bummer, that a Mac pro with 4 internal drive bays has no raid-ability at that price point."

Like the others have said, external RAID is really the only way to go for serious video production and for the flexibility it brings. I've only run external RAID's even going back to my Media 100 days and even with today's option to run an internal RAID, I see no reason to switch.

One thing for sure, get yourself a backup device like the 2TB LaCie FW800 RAID for less than $900 and back everything up to that. Even external devices, like my old S2VR HD unit, can have crashes and because I run everything at RAID 0 for the moment, I back everything up. When the S2VR HD crashed, I simply switched over to the LaCie Backup and I was editing again in about 10 minutes.

So get a backup device!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]