FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 2 RT Extreme?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt robson
Kona 2 RT Extreme?
on Mar 14, 2007 at 12:31:17 pm

Hey there. I've purchased a Kona 2 card for my G5. I am, however, very confused by RT extreme in FCP... should the Kona card be accelerating rendering etc? If so how do I get it to do this? Should the 'effect handling' tab in system show the Kona card as an option for some of the codecs? Right now it just shows 'None' or 'Final Cut Pro'. I have looked through all the manuals etc and have found nothing that explains this to me... I'm running PPC G5 Dual 2.7 with a KONA 2 on 133 MHZ PCI-X bus (slot 4) OS X 10.4.8, FCP 5.04 with Kona 3.0 drivers (assumed that these were the best since have not sent my installation discs to Ireland yet for a crossgrade - what a crazy idea, use snailmail?!)

Thanks!

M

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona 2 RT Extreme?
on Mar 14, 2007 at 12:55:17 pm

[matt robson] "however, very confused by RT extreme in FCP... should the Kona card be accelerating rendering etc?"

nope.

[matt robson] "Should the 'effect handling' tab in system show the Kona card as an option for some of the codecs?"

nope.

The Kona boards accelerate DVCPro HD and HDV codecs by performing realtime scaling of each so the processors can give you more RT filters and effects. As for accelerated rendering for all codecs, only faster processors get you that.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Mar 14, 2007 at 11:11:53 pm

Please remember that the most important factors in determining how much RT you get with FCP are:

1. COMPUTER SPEED
2. HARD DRIVE SPEED
3. RAM

The Kona card does some on board processing but it is specific to what Walter mentioned. The cards are great I/O pipelines but they do nothing to enhance the "speed" of FCP or the Real Time Engine. Since the RT extreme engine was introduced card manufacturers basically dropped teh idea of daughter card processing.

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

matt robson
on Mar 15, 2007 at 3:00:30 pm

Thanks so much for all this - very enlightening!

M

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]