FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buy now or wait?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pom_boarder
Buy now or wait?
on Mar 14, 2007 at 3:21:40 am

Would now be a bad time to look at buying the KonaLH? I know that with NAB a lot of companies will be holding onto new products but I haven't heard anything about AJA. I need the Kona LH or similar pretty soon but would it be a mistake to buy now, does anyone have any clues?


Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Buy now or wait?
on Mar 14, 2007 at 3:26:59 am

Are you keeping your PCI-X G5 machine instead of upgrading to an Intel Mac? If so, then go ahead and buy. If you're going to upgrade, then you'll want to purchase the LHe.

I don't know that AJA is coming out with a new board at NAB, but I'm hopeful apple will debut the new desktops sometime either just before or just after NAB.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters


Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
Re: Buy now or wait?
on Mar 14, 2007 at 4:06:39 am

It's a month WAIT!


Return to posts index


David Battistella
Re: Buy now or wait?
on Mar 14, 2007 at 12:13:56 pm



I have found that all the Kona Products are a good investment for my business. If you are running Final Cut Pro, you can be assured that the products work well and are constantly being improved. Their support is excellent.

If you need it today buy it today. If you can wait a month, wait a month. It all depends on what you actually need at this moment.

I see these posts every year before NAB. I have noticed that most of the time the announcement made at NAD area about a year or more away. (that might not be the case with this NAB and the FCP release)

But I'd say buy the Kona 3 it's a better investment in the transition to HD. But then again. Base your decisions on your needs and budget.


David

Peace and Love :)


Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Buy now or wait?
on Mar 14, 2007 at 12:24:25 pm

[David Battistella] "If you need it today buy it today. If you can wait a month, wait a month. It all depends on what you actually need at this moment."

And based on the fact that he's talking about a PCI-X G5 machine, I'm not sure anything new will come out for that. Kona LH or 3X are pretty much what you're going to have on those machines.

In reality, I think waiting for a new computer is a smart move since Leopard is almost here so you have to figure New OS and New Desktop will be launched about simultaneously. Then if you do that, you're talking about PCIe cards and waiting until NAB would be a good thing.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters


Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Buy now or wait?
on Mar 14, 2007 at 3:43:19 pm

everyone here is correct, but if you were to buy a Kona 3 now (if you have a Mac Pro, for example), and then they relase the "Kona 4" or "Super Kona 3" in April (which would get released in May or June) - and the Kona 3 cost you $2699 - how much money will you earn in March, April and May - or how much money will you LOSE by not owning the Kona 3 for $2699 ?

Its a financial decision.

Bob Zelin


Return to posts index


pom_boarder
Re: Buy now or wait?
on Mar 14, 2007 at 8:44:36 pm

Thanks everyone,

Walter you threw me there, I posted sometime ago regarding the kona cards and mentionjed the G5. Our FCP suite is actually built around one of the last G5 quads which was one of the first to include pci express so it would be the LHe if i decided to buy. The bottom line is we do need it now so I guess that answers my question really.

Thanks again


Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Buy now or wait?
on Mar 14, 2007 at 11:42:25 pm

[pom_boarder] "Our FCP suite is actually built around one of the last G5 quads which was one of the first to include pci express so it would be the LHe if i decided to buy."

Then I would say you're good to buy anything right now as it will migrate to your next machine. This is of course assuming Apple sticks with the PCIe architecture that is now in place, but know Apple, anything is possible.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]