FORUMS: list search recent posts

8 bit 422 Prores HQ log profile...?

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yisroel Glick
8 bit 422 Prores HQ log profile...?
on May 10, 2019 at 6:38:14 pm

Hey everyone ☺

I am about to make a video in a new genre to what I have been doing for 4 years and it will be significantly more creative. I have spent hours online learning about color grading and the potential that comes with shooting footage on a log profile, and as someone who started out with still photography and Lightroom I am super excited by the potential of log profile footage and Lumetri color processing in Pr.

As I am learning more it seems that shooting 8 bit footage on a log profile is a bad idea because 8 bit footage cannot handle much color grading in post before it starts banding etc.

I just found a reference that indicates that even if the footage output but the camera over HDMI is 8 bit, if it is recorded externally in a 10 bit codec like ProRes HQ that still improves the footage's ability to handle color grading.

Does this ring true?

I will be shooting with a D500 and a D750 both of which produce 8 bit 422 over HDMI and recording in external recorders in ProRes HQ. Is shooting in a log/flat profile to increase DR and flexibility with colors definitely a bad idea? Or might it be worth a try?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]