FORUMS: list search recent posts

Baselight and Alpha Channels

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Camin
Baselight and Alpha Channels
on Apr 18, 2019 at 2:14:38 pm
Last Edited By Kevin Camin on Apr 18, 2019 at 2:16:59 pm

Preface: I don't know anything about Baselight.

I was on the editing/VFX side of things and was working with some log footage of green screen talent and a photo plate for the background. I pulled a key on the talent while using the DPs LUT, but for the color grade I obviously stripped the LUT but kept the alpha I created. So I passed over the files in a two layer timeline. The ungraded log footage and the stock photo background plate.

The colorist said he was unable to get the alpha to read inside of Baselight. Is that true that Baselight can't interpret an alpha channel? I understand most color grades happen a single baked layer, but in this situation, it's a composite shot that has a log footage element, and for all intents and purposes, a ready to go background plate. If I were to bake them together, they'd need to roto the talent out which would have been a nightmare. The DP's LUT was really off so giving him that as a starting point was off the table.

I work in DaVinci and Premiere and alpha channels are interpreted. As someone who color grades, I'd love to have composites come in layers so I can avoid things like power windows, pulling keys, or rotoing. Then I could also do things like light wraps to integrate the subject better into the background.

Anyway, any Baselight users out there?

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]