FORUMS: list search recent posts

canon color space

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Fisher
canon color space
on Mar 28, 2019 at 12:43:23 am

I own a canon c300 mark 2. Is there any advantage to post production if I shoot using the larger color spaces like cinema gamut if my videos are only ever going to be viewed on rec 709 monitors? Or should I stick to shooting in rec 709? From what I understand It's only useful if the videos are going to be viewed on screens that can display these color spaces.

Been trying to understand color gamuts as best I can. Read what I can from canon and forums online. If anyone can point me in the direction of good info that'd be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: canon color space
on Mar 28, 2019 at 3:47:38 am

web/dvd is sRGB 2.2 gamma, BT1886, P3/rec. 2020 cinema. UHD bluray rec. 2020. No point in worrying about grading in a wide gamut if your
end product is small gamut. if you try to grade in a large gamut, you'd need a monitor that is calibrated and can display it or you'll create artifacts you can't even see. afaik, there's no advantage to grading in a large gamut and clipping or transforming into a low gamut later. cambridge says you may even create posterization doing this if low bits or not transforming white point correctly.

Return to posts index

Justin Fisher
Re: canon color space
on Mar 28, 2019 at 5:37:48 am

thanks for the response Chris much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]