FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connecting Grading Monitor to a Laptop (ASUS ROG)

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matteo Ferreccio
Connecting Grading Monitor to a Laptop (ASUS ROG)
on Aug 30, 2018 at 12:47:07 pm

Hi everyone. I'd love to seek some advice from this community about the possibility to use a grading monitor connected to a laptop, in my case an ASUS ROG, nvidia GTX 1050 (it does have the display port output, while the hdmi is piloted by the integrated intel graphic card).

If I am not mistaken, only nvidia quadro cards output 10bit wide gamut video signals, so not my GTX 1050 (correct me if I am wrong).

I primarly use After Effects for grading. I used it many years and I am pretty fast with it. Typical footage I grade is DNG RAW from Blackmagic cameras.

The work I do is intended for high quality desktop and web playback, so super-accurate 100% sRGB is what I really need.

What I need now is a Grading Monitor: I am leaning towards the EIZO CS2730 or the EIZO CG2730. They are both pricey for my present butget, so I need to know if, given my setup (ASUS ROG) and deliver needs (color accurate desktop and web playback), it's worth it to invest on a 1,5-2K € Grading Monitor.
Also, I already own the XRite i1 Display Pro calibration probe, so I'd be using it on the CS2730.

Basically I have three questions:

1 - Given I'm connecting it to a laptop with a medium range graphic card, will the Grading Monitor be reasonably color accurate? Or will I be wasting money?

2 - Will I need a connecting device (such as the Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini) to really use the features of a Grading Monitor such as those two EIZOs?

3 - Should I instead go for a lesser monitor such as some ~600€ BENQ with 100% sRGB? (I've read good things and bad things alike about those, such as bad uniformity and other problems you don't have with the EIZOs)

Every bit of advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]