FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to use the Cinestyle LUT?

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christophe Cuny
How to use the Cinestyle LUT?
on Jun 3, 2018 at 10:13:33 am

Helo CC,

I understand very little (well, nothing really) about colour grading and correction. Having just started shooting video with a Canon 70D, I got really confused with all the conflicting recommendations about shooting in in neutral, flat styles. In the end, I took the plunge and installed CineStyle. I did not change anything to the UserDef CineStyle profile and used it as installed. I found it really difficult to set video settings as everything looked faded on live view (which is normal, but I kind of have no idea how to work with that in camera to set parameters properly). So I may have some really crappy shots, but that's good enough for a test.

So I now have some very flat footage. my sky looks uniformly light grey (it was sunny, blue sky and nice big white clouds) over a washed out building. I now want to start working with the footage in Premiere and/or so I looked at a number of tuts online, all quite different. I can just about follow most of the steps, but it does beg the question: is there not a LUT I can apply to the footage that would take care of all the basic needs of the CineStyle format?

When I downloaded CineStyle, I found that there was a CineStyle LUT in the package. But having looked at it, I found that it was a .mga file (whatever that is) and an accompanying text file. I believe that is an S-curve LUT (whatever that is again) but I found no instructions on how to use it. It's not a .cube or .3DL which I have seen and used before, and seeing nothing on the CineStyle page, I am kind of stuck.

Last thing which may or may not help: before I started shooting, I took a short clip of a colour card (it's actually the card from a SpyderCheckr24 pack) on both sides. I had some notion that I could use the white to black with neutral grey side of the card to help set the right white balance. I also thought that maybe I could use the side with coloured thumbs to help with colour correction. That was just a notion though. I got myself some snapshots of both sides of the card, but I don't really know what to do with them yet.

My questions are:

1) How can I use this .mga S-Curve LUT if at all?
2) How best to use the colour card snapshots I took if at all useful?

Thank you for your suggestions. By all means point me towards relevant online tutorials or commercial training videos.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards

Christophe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]