FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best compromise for color accuracy connecting 980 Ti card to my new 4k 10 bit TV given in/out choices and hardware limits?

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Sage
Best compromise for color accuracy connecting 980 Ti card to my new 4k 10 bit TV given in/out choices and hardware limits?
on May 22, 2018 at 1:30:44 am
Last Edited By Greg Sage on May 22, 2018 at 5:58:29 pm

Just wanted to get a perspective from folks who are focused on visual accuracy as to the best compromise I can manage with my existing equipment before I hook it up, and start figuring out color space to work in, etc.

MacPro 3.1 (2008)

Card says:
Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI 2.0, 3x DisplayPort 1.2

TV says:
3 HDMI 2.0 w/HDCP 2.2 (1 ARC)

I'll be doing video editing, and have a colormunki, but budget is shot at this point, so want to set up the most accurate monitoring possible with this setup. Want as close to 4k 60hz 4:4:4 (10 bit) as I can get. I undersatnd the tv itself is a bit limited with something like 97% rec709 coverage, and some issues with dark tones, but also wondering exactly where to compromise if that exceeds HDMI 2.0 bandwidth, or if there's a way to bypass issues by outputting via display port and converting.... or even splitting into dual outputs into same tv to reassemble like they do for the 5k displays.

Is there no point with this equipment even bothering to do 10 bit workspace anyway? I just bought the tv, so it is still returnable, though I'd need to find another budget big screen option, and Rtings gave this set the highest ever marks for post calibration color accuracy (standard gamut).

I don't pretend to be a color expert. Just want to do the best I can with my budget setup and get some input from folks more familiar with calibration and accuracy issues.

If it matters, the 980 Ti is in a Mac, so I don't have the Nvidia control panel (thought there may be some other option to emulate it)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]