FORUMS: list search recent posts

4444 XQ to DCP gamma issues!

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Sartori
4444 XQ to DCP gamma issues!
on Feb 22, 2018 at 11:07:11 pm

Hi

I've just graded a film shot CinemaDNG and rendered it out 4444 XQ, video levels, gamma 2.4, rec 709 for a DCP. Viewing the DCP in a theater, it was washed out.
The house making the DCP didn't set the video level or gamma, their software was auto detecting it at 2.2. We tested it again with a gamma of 2.4, it was better but now it was a bit dim.
It looks like some color space conversion issue. 4444 XQ carries data levels. I forced resolve to render video levels when I made the initial Quicktime from Resolve. On conversion to DCP it seems data levels may be being detected?

I went back and ran a Pro Res 422 HQ from the 4444 file, and we will test that. Pro res HQ carries only video levels so there can be no confusion.

Any ideas what is going on here? The DCP software has nowhere to set levels as video or data, i looked at their screen. It just does an auto detect. Is the XQ file generating data levels even though i forced video on render?
I would prefer a 4444 go to conversion, but if only an HQ will convert correctly.......

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: 4444 XQ to DCP gamma issues!
on Feb 23, 2018 at 8:17:08 am

DCP does not use video levels. I think your problem lies there.
Try full scale (or whatever it is called in your grading software.)
Gamma issues (2.2 vs 2.4) is hard to detect, but elevated black (as in video levels) is very obvious. I think that's what you mean with 'washed out'.
(White being not as white as it should is also hard to detect, as you need to know what the projector is capable of...)

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]