FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dpx or tiff?

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Rijkaard
Dpx or tiff?
on Dec 18, 2017 at 10:09:03 pm

Hi

I am making a film which includes a mix of cgi material and video.

The video is shot on canon c300 in 4k s log 2
The final output of the film will be 2k (2048x1080 @25p)
As qt 422 HQ and DCP

I will be grading in resolve and editing in premiere.

I make the cgi content in cinema 4d rendered in vray - I am currently trying to gather information about the best file format to save the animation sequences from c4d.

I have tried linear colour space tiff (16bit) and have the option of 16bit dpx.

Is there any reason why dpx or tiff would be better for this workflow? I am running the clips on a raid so data rate is not an issue.

Also - (nube question) in the host application (cinema 4d) the rendered tiffs have the washed out linear look, but in premiere and resolve they have the 8bit contrast. Is this normal? Would a dpx act differently?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Dpx or tiff?
on Dec 18, 2017 at 11:07:49 pm

dpx usually is set in log. EXR is less confusing and supports more metadata. not to mention, staying in linear land where cgi is. cgi is always rendered linear light exr half float(16 bit) in full APO 2065 space. as crummy premiere only supports 10 bit dpx output, you'd have a problem exporting back out. export exr instead. premiere also can't export colorspace beyond sRGB. so finish any grading in resolve via xml.

Return to posts index

Paul Rijkaard
Re: Dpx or tiff?
on Dec 20, 2017 at 5:44:01 pm

Many thanks chris

Could you elaborate on the point about dpx is normally set in log? Do you mean log rather than linear?

I had been warned away from exr from a colleague - although am happy to research more and use it if it it works.

Should I drop tiffs altogether?

If anyone knows any good further reading about this I would be very grateful for any shares

Many thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]