FORUMS: list search recent posts

Up scope!

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Up scope!
on Nov 29, 2017 at 5:28:27 pm

Taking a minute from my usual angry old man yelling at clouds thing to mention a recent peeve.

Browsing YouTube, I see a number of popular posts (thousands of views) showing color techniques, how to apply LUTs, etc. and some of these look pretty slick. The feedback comments are often glowing.

But.

Regardless of the software they are demonstrating, almost NONE of these demos ever show the usage of vector scope and wave form monitor displays while doing their colorist magic. They almost never refer to scopes verbally either.

I suppose it's less critical for web-only work, but, gosh darn-it, am I the only one here that isn't bothered by this trend?

Frankly, when I screen a demo like this and I don't see scopes somewhere, I dump it and move on to another one.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Up scope!
on Nov 29, 2017 at 6:46:45 pm

are they technical luts? if not, how will scopes know what 'cool' looks likes.
otoh, I actually made a youtube video that shows how to make a gh5 to rec. 709 lut in less than 60 seconds using scopes. annnnnd, the skin tone line. even my exposure is scoped. No one has ever done that before!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 29, 2017 at 7:04:08 pm

Your use of scopes pleases me, my point is, a lot of these "tutorials" I see seem to skip this basic yet fundamental step, before going into all the "fun" "cool" stuff. The output may or may not look good. I think most of the time, a broadcast QC check would kick it back as outside of spec. I get it that web viewing may be more "forgiving", but even there, stuff that's egregiously out of spec is not going to present as well as stuff that was done using a common standard of reference. Maybe I'm just old and irrelevant now. Probably. I'm set in my ways, but I believe you can't do your best work on something creative, unless you build it upon proper fundamentals.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 30, 2017 at 12:40:35 am

the real problem imho is not so much the scopes, its what happens before the scopes. they slap on a generic lut. ooh this looks good!
even if its a creative lut as long as it look cool. but really, luts don't know what white balance you shot at. even ISO of the shot will slightly affect the gamma curve. but now I'm going into the weeds. Someone pull me out!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]