FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to setup your camera to get the best color from it, how to color correct the footage, and color grade it

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
How to setup your camera to get the best color from it, how to color correct the footage, and color grade it
on Sep 26, 2017 at 1:30:22 am

Hard as I try, I never am satisfied with the color I achieve in my videos — not by a long shot! I studied camera and lighting several years ago, so I can light a scene. And even though my lights at home are of the cheap-fluorescent kind (whose CRI I'm guessing is pretty low), I find that my final color, even with natural lighting, is well below what I would like it to be. I've tried recording on "flat" profiles in my Nikon D610, I've tried getting the colours in-camera as close to those I want, I've tried white balancing to true white in the scene, I've tried tweaking the WB to get the image closer to what I want, etc., etc. But in the end I'm never satisfied; I can never get good color after color correcting the image, nor can I get it after grading. I've tried LUTs, and they all seem to shoot my colours, saturation and contrast all over the place. In summary, I'm at the end of my tether here, and I don't know what else to do.
Basically, I'm asking for some advice on good, comprehensive tutorials, manuals, books or online courses I may find that'll set me on the right track and finally help figure out what I'm doing wrong. First, I would like to, once and for all, understand the best way I can set my camera to get the best and most versatile footage from it in order to build from there. Then, I would like to understand what to do with that footage: what to do first, what tools to use, etc.
Thank you very much for any input you might be able to give me!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: How to setup your camera to get the best color from it, how to color correct the footage, and color grade it
on Sep 26, 2017 at 2:43:56 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Sep 26, 2017 at 3:29:36 am

your technical side sounds fine. you white balance, flat profile(or similar pro lost format), expose 18% grey(at native luma of gamma curve), good iso, shutter, etc. perhaps the only thing left is post-prod. if you post a full sized png still image of something you did, we can get a better idea where your actual problem lies. I'm guessing you're using a lut from the manufacturer and its not lining up skin tones and natural colors.

what NLE are you using? are you familiar with photoshop, premiere, resolve, after effects?

-how to grade flat video in 60 seconds in premiere.
https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/394/232

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]