FORUMS: list search recent posts

Poor quality GoPro footage

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Vegeberg
Poor quality GoPro footage
on Sep 9, 2017 at 3:15:45 pm

Hi,

I´m getting poor quality footage from my GoPro Hero 5, and since I see videos on youtube where the images are crispy sharp, so I am thinking it´s me who does something wrong.

It´s mainly noticeable after grading, but I get a lot of banding and noise in blue skies, and the footage looks unsharp and poor. I have been reading around and understand that the blue channel can give a lot of noise, but I have seen videos, in slow motion, where the blue looks perfect.

Here is my workflow.

Record 1080p/120fps from GoPro using protune. Color = Flat, WB = Native or auto, ISO 400, Shutter = Auto EV comp. = 0 to -1, Sharp = low.

I plug the SD card to my card reader and download the video files to the PC.

I import the files to PP and edit. Then I Copy/Paste to AE for distort correction and run a denoiser + warp stab. I then export the files in Cineform quality 5 and import back to PP.

I then export the timeline using Cineform quality 5, and import to DaVinci Resolve for grading, that’s when the noise really starts to show, especially if I apply a Teal and Orange LUT that boost the blue in the sky. (If I´m using the same LUT on my 120fps footage from Sony a6500, it looks good)

Should I do anything different?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Poor quality GoPro footage
on Sep 9, 2017 at 10:31:44 pm

post an original full size high quality still PNG image and I'll take a peak. also, are your luts 64 cube or only 32?

Return to posts index

Brian Vegeberg
on Sep 10, 2017 at 1:10:31 pm

Hey Chris,

Thank you for taking the time.

Here is the graded frame with the LUT
blueskynoise_1.28.3.post.png

Here it is from pp, before anything was done to it
watersplash.png

I don´t know how to see if the LUT is 64 or 32, it is a CUBE file however.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 10, 2017 at 1:50:42 pm

open the lut in notepad. the 5th line should say
LUT_3D_SIZE 64 or LUT_3D_SIZE 32

don't even try to grade with less than a 64 cube. even that is @ 0.5% loss.

I'll take a closer look when I get onto my good computer. you do know that distorting and warp stabilizer loses quality right? you should grade before warping/distorting. I know it sounds like a catch 22 but those two soften and warp pixels around which in turn warps the chroma channel around. i think that camera is only 4:20 chroma anyway. and don't use any 8 bit effects either. export premiere at max quality render. then run AE at 16bpc, undistort, precomp that, then warp stabilize.

you can make your own look that is very high quality for free!

lut creation instructions:
grade inside photoshop convert video to smart object or just grade one png frame, and open as adobe camera raw, then save preset as .xmp. then
download
https://sellfy.com/p/aQ1y/
after generating its lut table, take that png into photoshop, apply your .xmp preset in adobe camera raw and save-as a new filename.
then open iwltap lut creator(click its question box to select 64 cube) and select the new filename. it will create a brand new 64 cube lut.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 11, 2017 at 1:49:34 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Sep 11, 2017 at 2:03:06 am

here is an example lut and xmp adobe camera file. it needs denoising if you grade after undistort and warp.

https://f1.creativecow.net/11665/go-pro-ocean?uploaded=file

Return to posts index

Brian Vegeberg
on Sep 11, 2017 at 4:38:36 pm

I get a lot of figures when I open the LUT in notepad, but the closest I can get to what you are writing, is LUT_3D_SIZE 330.xxxx. So i guess it means lower than 64?

It makes a lot of sense about distort/warp and loss of quality, but I don´t think there is much difference in the graded and the untouch frame regarding softness and unsharpness. Is that just how GoPro perform in 1080p?

Thx for taking the time to make a LUT it looks great, but it´s not working so good with the other GoPro shots sadly. I tried to make a grade my self, but can´t seem to get the sky the babyblue color, and still have the nice skin colors. Did you just make the shadow and highlights cold and the mids warm?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 12, 2017 at 1:55:47 am

yea it sounds like a 33 cube lut. that is probably where you're losing all your detail in the colors.

you can edit the xmp in photoshop to get a shot that looks good for your other footage. that ocean lut only works on water. if you want, you could post a png from the other stuff and i could make them match or make a new 'look'

Return to posts index

Brian Vegeberg
on Sep 12, 2017 at 3:48:28 am

That is a little bit frustrating really ☹

I will try to play around with it and see what I can get, only way to learn it.

Thank you for your help.

Oh one other thing, you wrote that I should export from PP at max quality render settings before going to AE, is that better than just copy/paste from PP to AE?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 12, 2017 at 5:25:56 am

if you do any dynamic linking, make sure AE project is at 32bpc and only use 32bpc effects until you decide to clip whites and blacks into srgb video range. example: 16bpc projects and 16bpc effects are high quality but clip superwhites. 8 bpc and 8 bit effects can cause banding lines. usually you want to use 32bpc effects first, then 16bpc, then, 8 bpc effects last, or hopefully no 8bpc effects at all.

Return to posts index

Brian Vegeberg
on Sep 13, 2017 at 5:29:29 am

So far my workflow has been to copy the clip in PP, paste to a new composition in AE and then export from AE using cineform YUV 10bit at quality 5.
But if I do the grading before going to AE, I can work in 16bpc in AE or how?

When I work with 4K for downscaling to 1080p timeline, would it then be better to export the full res 4K clips to resolve for grading before going in to AE?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 13, 2017 at 6:34:43 am

just edit in premiere, export xml to resolve. grade in resolve, export 10 bit graded resolve clips with xml back to premiere, ,import resolve xml into premiere, paste clips into AE with 16bpc at native 4k resolution, undistort, warp stabilize, export to youtube.

how-to roundtrip resolve via xml

Return to posts index

Brian Vegeberg
on Sep 13, 2017 at 5:12:11 pm

Yeah ok. I tried XML before, but that gave me problems in resolve with clips where the speed was changed, that´s why I export EDL. But I will try to figure it out.

Thank you very much for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]