FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony A7Sii best colour/picture profile for amazing, in camera graded footage

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Manuela Leigh
Sony A7Sii best colour/picture profile for amazing, in camera graded footage
on Aug 28, 2017 at 1:29:08 am

Hi there!

I am shooting some yoga tutorials next week and I had some problems last week with the my Sony A7Sii. I shot a yoga video in the full automatic setting and unfortunately, it shot it with an aperture of 2.8 and all my footage isn't crisp as I would like it to be.

I want my footage to be shot 'graded' (as the editor doesn't want to grade or add any LUTS), so could someone please recommend a good picture/colour profile where I can have control over the aperture, but I don't shoot flat? I am new to this camera so apologies if this is a silly question, I just want to work in a very simple way where the footage I hand over is 1) crisp and fully in focus and 2) looks graded and is bright, not flat at all!

Many thanks in advice

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Sony A7Sii best colour/picture profile for amazing, in camera graded footage
on Aug 28, 2017 at 2:40:20 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Aug 28, 2017 at 3:02:48 am

it auto selected f/2.8 due to low light. if you choose a picture profile/gamma like rec. 709, you have less grading to do, but less room to make corrections. cine4/s-gamut/detail -7 gives more shadow latitude in low light(slog only for day due to noise). also, to get more things in focus would require larger f-stop like f/8.0 but you would have to increase iso to compensate. set shutter to 2x framerate.(i.e. if shooting 30fps, make shutter 1/60th or even higher if fast motion)

there aren't many good option in low light, but you don't want your shutter to drag to 1/10th a second and everything's a blur. furthermore, you don't want low f-stop to have most things out of focus, and last but not least;
you have basically two options, full manual shutter, aperture(metering mode), including manual iso(high iso causes noise) but no automatic way to compensate for lighting change, or manual with ISO AUTO Min. Shutter but grain can change in lighting changes once reaching shutter limit.

also, choose the type of focus area for auto focus. Also, auto white balance can change too if lighting temperature changes changing color of image.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]