FORUMS: list search recent posts

UHD delivery, downscale for grading?

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Olsen
UHD delivery, downscale for grading?
on May 25, 2017 at 8:03:14 pm

Hello all, thanks for taking the time to read.

For an upcoming project, I'll be performing the grade on a ~60 minute doc that I need to deliver UHD in ProRes 4444, which has a data rate of about 1000 Mb/s. I'm working on a mac system (trashcan) in Resolve, so Thunderbolt 3 is not an option (I don't want to grade on a laptop!). I should be able to reach those speeds with 4 SSDs striped together over Thunderbolt2, but its close--too close to feel really comfortable with going into grading on a major project, tight timeline etc.

My question to kick things off is, what are people doing to be able to grade with realtime playback in PR4444 at UHD, from a storage perspective and a monitoring perspective? I've been wanting to get my hands on an EIZO CG3184K for grading for a while, but I don't want to shell out that money if I'm just going to be bottlenecked by storage speeds.

Is it better to go with an HD/2K monitor and downscale the monitoring resolution during grading, which should alleviate the storage speed bottleneck? I always figured grading in the resolution I'm delivering in is the way to go, but I believe many of the pro facilities are downscaling during grading, especially those using a projector system.

Thanks to anyone who has some insight here!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]