FORUMS: list search recent posts

HP Dreamcolor 27x and monitoring interlace video

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John McMullin
HP Dreamcolor 27x and monitoring interlace video
on Apr 20, 2017 at 10:53:09 am

I'm posting this in the grading section for want of a better section although it's really a monitoring issue.

I'm looking to purchase the Dreamcolor 27x monitor to work with Adobe Creative Cloud. I'm working with a client and we have to deliver ads in 50i, both at 1080 and SD PAL. The camera sources are progressive but we have to deliver for Adstream at 50i.

The way I'm doing this is to change the sequence settings to top field interlaced and then export via Adobe Media Encoder to the desired formats. This will change the dissolves and transitions etc to interlaced which is OK, but it will also introduce interlacing to any speed affected footage (footage shot at 50fps and speeded up 200%). We want to retain the progressive look on the actual camera source footage. I can deinterlace these shots no problem but currently we cannot monitor or see these artefacts properly during the QC process.

So I've looked at the Dreamcolor specs and it says that it accepts an interlace signal, but what I can't determine is whether it actually displays the interlace correctly.

Many thanks for your help,

John

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: HP Dreamcolor 27x and monitoring interlace video
on Apr 20, 2017 at 2:07:19 pm

Hi John,

Not an expert on this workflow, but if all sources are Progressive, why not edit as Progressive, then just export as Interlaced in the end?

Also, how do you plan on getting an interlaced signal out to the monitor? I believe you will need a Black Magic card or similar, as the computer graphics card is not going to output interlaced footage. Decklink Mini Monitor for instance.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

John McMullin
Re: HP Dreamcolor 27x and monitoring interlace video
on Apr 20, 2017 at 9:03:52 pm

Thanks Jeff,

Yes. I was recommending buying a Ultrastudio 4K for the outputs.

The client is an agency that previously finished in a post house before but now want to finish in-house. I managed to get the first batch of ads through but was frustrated by the basic monitoring. Didn't even have proper speakers. So I'm trying to put together a budget kit list for them.

I could finish everything as progressive and then convert the format to 50i later as a separate encode. But I prefer to export directly from the final sequences as it cuts out a step. Also, I like the transitions/fades being interlaced as they look less jerky on TV that way.

Aside from the specifics of this job, I'd really like to be able to monitor interlaced as it's always a pain somewhere later on down the line if you can't. Other option is to put a small interlaced monitor on a second video output.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]