FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timing Question

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design Fusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Timing Question
on Jun 30, 2018 at 8:07:13 pm

I bring a clip into Fusion and want to add a 3D title. I want the title to appear two seconds after thr clip starts and end two seconds before the clip ends. I noticed in the timeline changing the timing of some tools affects timing of other tools. For example, changing a transform tool sometimes affects the start and end time of a merge tool. Is this related to how tools are connected? How can I have a background or title start or end at a different time from other obects in the composition? Is there some tool I am over looking?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Timing Question
on Jun 30, 2018 at 8:47:12 pm

It sounds as though you are using the Timeline in the wrong way.

If you want your title to appear 2 seconds in, simply set keyframes for the Merge/Blend at the 2 second mark. Once you have keyframes you can adjust the keyframes in the Timeline panel.

What you are probably doing is dragging the 3D Text start and end handles, which you should be able to see from the Console view throws up errors.

Fusion doesn't work that way.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 30, 2018 at 9:11:06 pm

Thank you! That explains why Resolve replaced Timeline with Keyframes. My other question is about using a portion of a clip but have it be somewhere in the middle, say like 10 seconds in. Is that too complicated?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 1, 2018 at 9:44:50 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Jul 1, 2018 at 11:27:45 am

It's worth understanding why you can't simply shorten the 3D Text on the Timeline. If you shorten the 3D text so there is nothing at the current frame, you will get the following errors in the Console:

Renderer3D1 cannot get Parameter for SceneInput at time 50
Merge1 cannot get foreground image at time 50
Merge1 failed at time 50

This is because there is en empty value going into the 3D Renderer node, and as a result the Merge also has an empty input and hence the composite will fail. Fusion doesn't let you have an empty value for the 3D Renderer - if it has nothing to render it can't render and fails. It's not like other types of image sources which can be shortened at will.

(Ideally the 3D Text tool would behave like other 3D tools and not show anything in the Timeline until you add keyframes to avoid the confusion you are experiencing here.)

[David Mathis] "My other question is about using a portion of a clip but have it be somewhere in the middle, say like 10 seconds in. Is that too complicated?"

I'm not sure what you mean by this. You can certainly use the Timeline to slide clips around so that they start and end in different places, and you can shorten or lengthen them in the Timeline too. In that sense the Fusion Timeline is no different to any other timeline you might be used to.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]