FORUMS: list search recent posts

How hard or how much time to do this?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design Fusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Watts
How hard or how much time to do this?
on Oct 14, 2017 at 1:57:37 pm

I have about a minute of footage I follow shot of a Polar bear walking parallel to me. She is walking on grass and has a chain link fence behind her. I want to composite her walking on hard hard pack snow and set her in an Arctic environment. I have real snow particles to add over the top.

Can anyone give me an idea how much time it would take in Fusion to cut her out from her background only.
(not including the compositing time.)

If reasonable. I'd like to hire someone to do this for me.

Thanks!

Larry

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: How hard or how much time to do this?
on Oct 14, 2017 at 3:51:03 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Oct 15, 2017 at 12:42:27 pm

If you could post a still or even better a short section of the clip in question, it would be easier to answer your question.

Polar bears have fur, and fur is going to make this potentially quite tricky. There might be a procedural method that would help with extracting a matte, but since you mention a chain link fence that's probably out of the question here. That means it's a time-consuming rotoscope job. Although Fusion 9's new planar tracker can make this quite a bit easier.

But it all depends on the shot itself and also how perfect you want the result.

EDIT: If your shot is locked off you might be able to try using a Difference Keyer, though the results are often pretty rough. But it might get you 80% of the way and you can clean up the rest.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Oct 17, 2017 at 5:57:30 am

Simon; are you saying that the Planar Tracker works as many tracking points, not just, for example, the four corner points you used in your Planar Tracking demonstration???

That is, how do you set up the bear polyline and then try to track that polyline???

As we know, Resolve allows multi-point tracking and "Cloud" tracking. But does not track a polyline such as a mask.

But is there hope .... that the Planar Tracker can be coaxed into a pseudo roto tool???

Thanks, Mike

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 17, 2017 at 12:22:45 pm

[Michael McCune] "Simon; are you saying that the Planar Tracker works as many tracking points"

The planar tracker "does what it says on the tin" - it tracks planes and areas that approximate close enough to planes for it not to make too much difference.

The result it outputs is a planar transform (essentially position, rotation, scale, but also shear and perspective) for the plane is has tracked, so in many ways you could think of it as a fancy four-point tracker. The difference is that you don't need to define specific track points yourself which can often be very hard to do - instead the tracker identifies many points within the area you define and creates the result from those many points.

The most obvious use is the stuff that everybody immediately thinks of, namely screen or billboard replacements and so on. But in fact you can do a lot more.

If you can identify areas in your image that are close enough to planes for the tracker to be able to interpret them adequately, then you can use it for example for facial touch-up, where although the area in question isn't flat like a plane, it's good enough.

And to answer your question after all that, it can also be used for rotoscoping if again you can identify areas that are sufficiently like planes that the tracker can yield useful results. What the tracker does not do is track the control points of a rotoshape. As explained above, it outputs a planar transformation for an entire image based on how it calculates the plane as having moved. You can apply that planar transform to your rotoshape and it will animate the rotoshape accordingly.

So what it allows you to do is simplify a lot of the process of animating a rotoshape, but it doesn't do the whole job. To reiterate, it animates the overall transform, not the individual control points.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Oct 17, 2017 at 12:53:42 pm

I've tried twice to attach a still or footage, but it seems to have changed as to how to do that. The bear is quite round so finding a spot other than its not might be a challenge

L

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 17, 2017 at 6:53:38 pm

I don't mind doing roto work, but it's always best to avoid it as much as you can. One trick that might work, since the bear is whitish, is to go into color correction and dial up a very high contrast and saturation, and play with color limit tools, (the "Pleasantville" effect) in order to make a scene that's ugly to the eye but easier for the luma and chroma keyers or difference keyers to work with in generating a "hold-out-matte". Build it from the bear-out, or the environment-in. Either way.

Take the initial result of that and apply additional masking/roto to it until you have a perfect "hi-con" black/white mask layer, then stack that between the original bear layer and the new arctic layer, apply some feathering.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]