FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simon Ubsdell's tutorial on managing problem edges is one-of-a-kind, so much information

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design Fusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McCune
Simon Ubsdell's tutorial on managing problem edges is one-of-a-kind, so much information
on Oct 14, 2017 at 6:13:50 am
Last Edited By Michael McCune on Oct 14, 2017 at 6:19:47 am

"It's all about the edges." This tutorial, like Simon's other tutorials, has so much information that one really is rewarded by studying them.

Edge quality obviously makes or breaks the successive work that is based on them. Like any veteran, Simon has many approaches to problem edges, most new to me, and he demonstrates them and discusses--very helpfully--the thinking and strategy behind them.

Some were immediately helpful in keying "natural" images; that is, images not shot against a blue or green screen. These natural images have various issues in separation from the background and Simon illustrates many tools and techniques.

For example, animating the matte threshold properties on a (Chromakey) selection, a touch a bluring, etc., helped salvage a bit of work that has taken zillions of hours, it seems, trying to make decent edges.

Not being a professional with buddies at work to ask and other resources that accrue from decades of experience, his insights are much appreciated.

Seriously, this video will need multiple viewings by some of us to try to grasp the strategies and techniques.

Thanks, Simon.
Mike

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Simon Ubsdell's tutorial on managing problem edges is one-of-a-kind, so much information
on Oct 14, 2017 at 11:43:15 am

Thanks, Mike. I'm glad to know it was interesting to you.

This is indeed a very useful technique that has many uses and can be a real life saver for fixing problem edges of all kinds.

One of the things that I have been seeing a lot is that lower end cameras create problematic fringing in the red channel that can make a real mess of the key. This technique is a great way of solving this problem.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]