FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fusion 9: cannot save a composition: recognized problem???

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design Fusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McCune
Fusion 9: cannot save a composition: recognized problem???
on Sep 5, 2017 at 3:54:30 pm

Fusion 9 here does not seem to want to save compositions, though otherwise seems to operate normally. Uninstalled, reinstalled, verified drives and Preferences/Path names: but no joy. Renders and Saver nodes are successful in outputting and creating render files.

BUT, even simple test cases fail to save the new composition itself. That is, open and create a new simple composition, say, with only one or two elements for test purposes and then try to save via the file menu, Control+S or Save As.

Then the Save (As) dialog appears as expected. All appears normal; no obvious dialog box options that might have an effect.

Tried various drives and verified owners and permissions, etc, tried various new composition names, .... no joy.

Is this a recognized problem ("the beta blues" perhaps) or does this seem to be specific to my setup???

Any thoughts????

Thanks, Mike

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
Re: Fusion 9: cannot save a composition: recognized problem???
on Sep 5, 2017 at 5:35:54 pm

Clarification: when Fusion 9 fails to save the composition, clicking the "Save" button at the bottom of the "Save" dialog does nothing.

That is, the dialog box remains and is not dismissed, as is the case when the composition is successfully saved.

Thanks, Mike

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 5, 2017 at 5:48:17 pm

[Michael McCune] "Is this a recognized problem ("the beta blues" perhaps) or does this seem to be specific to my setup???"

I have had no problems at all with saving new compositions in Fusion 9.

Maybe try trashing com.blackmagic-design.fusion.plist in ~/Library/Preferences.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Sep 7, 2017 at 5:28:15 am

Thanks, Simon. Yes, I had not thought about the Prefs file.

Did not however find one in Windows Fusion: searched through every Fusion folder.

The file "com.blackmagic-design.fusion.plist" is on your Mac, right?

The good news is that deleting all the defaults names and file paths wherever I found them and entering new ones--in Fusion Preferences or in Save dialog boxes--seems to have restored Save and Save As so they now succeed as expected.

Thanks again, Simon.

P.S. Have you ever thought about a Lynda.com course on Fusion??? Is there a market??? Resolve has a few wonderfully complete--that is, beyond basic to include intermediate use--courses by Pat Inhofer. Not much out there it seems for Fusion.

Seems helpful often to have more than the "tutorial" format--"Do this, then do that, ..." The tutorial format provides is one layer of understanding, to be sure.

But also helpful may be information on the "logic" level, say, how boolean syntax and algebra work and show how it is applied to masks and mattes. In computer languages they might call this the "grammar." As it is, one has to piece it together from Photophop books (such as, "The hidden Power of Blend Modes," by Scott Valentine) and the internet.

And there is the "cookbook" format: a collection of specific comp tasks and how to accomplish them. As you know, cookbook examples do not go down to the low level stuff nor up to the concept level, but they do provide quick possible roadmaps.

Then the higher level concepts:"why" something is done, the purpose, advantage or strategy vis-a-vis another. An overview, from 30,000 feet, as they say these days.

I suspect that you all, who have mastered video graphics at a very high level, have actually learned all of this
though beginners like myself are sometimes helped with a structured approach and visiting all these levels.

Yours, Mike

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 9, 2017 at 7:02:32 pm

[Michael McCune] "But also helpful may be information on the "logic" level, say, how boolean syntax and algebra work and show how it is applied to masks and mattes."

I am actually planning a basic introduction to channels and channel booleans as soon as I get the time to finalise it.

I think you're right that many users new to Fusion could benefit from some very simple explanations of the basic concepts. Most Fusion tutorials tend to presuppose a lot of technical knowledge and are aimed more at VFX professionals than at the casual user. Fusion is at last starting to attract a lot of users who are not necessarily deeply immersed in VFX and who are probably less familiar with the concepts that help you get the best out of the application.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Sep 11, 2017 at 4:09:35 pm

Simon; I very much look forward to it. I have actually studied, yes, studied your tutorials. That is, repeat sections trying to catch the quick but necessary details that are part of some process or other. And try to understand why my attempts simply don't work.

Seems very often that the answer is that there are "modes" or preliminary setup or context options that must be set before the process at hand is attempted. Then things work as expected.

The joke I tell friends, eventually, is that the secret is that one must click one's heels and turn around twice. Then it works. But that is the same with any very complex system, I would say, where the technician's technical expertise is, as they say, indistinguishable from magic!

Again, I look forward to your tutorials very much.

Thanks, Mike

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Sep 11, 2017 at 9:28:08 pm

Did you uninstall fusion 8?

I had a few issues with 9, (saving was one of them) Then realized that both 8 and 9 were on the system.

Uninstalled 8 and 9, deleted all the user items (as per another post from BM about a total uninstall) and then installed 9.

Seemed to fix the issue.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Sep 12, 2017 at 2:03:40 am

Glenn; yes, that indeed was the fix: remove Fusion 8.

Only by chance I saw the splash screen say, "Fusion 8" when of course I expected "9."

Don't recall any Fusion install prompt about removing the previous version.

So I probably misled myself as Resolve seemed to allow multiple installed versions.

Anyway, all's well that end's well.

Thanks again, Mike

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 17, 2017 at 1:58:24 pm

[Glenn Sakatch] "I had a few issues with 9, (saving was one of them) Then realized that both 8 and 9 were on the system."

Good recommendation.

I would mention however that I have both 8 and 9 installed on my system here without problems, so it probably depends on a lot of factors. It sounds as though the problem here was mainly to do with conflicting file paths.

But 9 seems to be solid enough that there's no real need to go back to 8 at this point.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]