FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intro questions in fusion

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design Fusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zachary Dodson
Intro questions in fusion
on Apr 23, 2017 at 4:46:00 am

So I was working on an intro for my YouTube channel in resolve and after talking to a couple people in here it was suggested that I use fusion. I picked it up and after 3 weekends of work I ended up with something I'm kind of happy with but I am having issues in the render phase. I want to lay what I built over a some film I edited together in resolve. I have a few questions to start with and any help would be very appreciated.
1. What is a good format to use for taking this file into resolve?
2. I know I can make a fusion clip in resolve, can I just do that somehow from fusion to resolve?
3. I made this clip without a background and I want it to be clear when I use it in my videos but everything I have tried ends up with a black background that I just cant get rid of(even tried to key it out in resolve and it doesn't work).
#3 is my biggest concern, I can fake it through the rest of the stuff. I would like to be able to make a couple other things using fusion but I really think I need the clear background so I can layer them over my videos that I edit with resolve 12.5.
Like I said I am totally new to this program but really like it. I have never used a program like this before so my understanding and terminology is all based on 3 weekends worth of experience and a lot of time in tutorials. I am always open to any advice so if there is an easier way like maybe importing my whole vid clip into fusion and putting it in as a background ( I have tried repeatedly but the video doesn't play for some reason )
If you can tell me why that is the case then I could put the whole clip together in fusion and that would be good. I would still like to make motion graphics with clear backgrounds to put in my videos.
Thanks for any help you can offer and sorry if I sound dumb.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Intro questions in fusion
on Apr 24, 2017 at 4:41:56 pm

[Zachary Dodson] "1. What is a good format to use for taking this file into resolve?"

If you are on a Mac, you could try using ProRes4444 which supports an alpha channel. But it's a good idea to get into the habit of using image sequence when working with Fusion. In your case since you want transparency, there are a number of options that will work: PNG, TIFF, Targa, OpenEXR, etc. One big advantage of using image sequences is you can re-render portions of your project rather than having to render the whole thing necessarily.

[Zachary Dodson] "2. I know I can make a fusion clip in resolve, can I just do that somehow from fusion to resolve?"

You can't exactly do this, but if you use Fusion Connect you are creating a very useful link between Resolve and Fusion so it's a good place to start.

[Zachary Dodson] "3. I made this clip without a background and I want it to be clear when I use it in my videos but everything I have tried ends up with a black background that I just cant get rid of(even tried to key it out in resolve and it doesn't work)."

This is why you need to export from Fusion using a format that supports your alpha channel - see above.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Zachary Dodson
on Apr 25, 2017 at 3:36:39 am

Thanks for the reply, I have been using your vids to get this far and they have been great. Its kinda cool that you got back to me. I'm going to give your suggestions a try. I am on PC not mac so I will shoot for png or one of those. 5 months ago my life focused on carpentry and my computer use was like facebook and games. I always thought png was for still shots so when I saw it in there I just disregarded it. Thanks for your help i'm excited to try this and fusion just finished loading so Ill catch you later.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 25, 2017 at 9:19:54 am

PNG is a good choice for motion graphics, I think, as it uses lossless compression to deliver very economical file sizes.

Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck with exploring Fusion - there's an endless amount of good stuff to discover.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]