FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fusion renders with CPU only??? No GPU???

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design Fusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McCune
Fusion renders with CPU only??? No GPU???
on Mar 26, 2017 at 2:33:08 am

Fusion is working very well in regard to generating mattes. BUT, I must be missing something.

The renders seem to use only the CPU and zero GPU. While there are twelve cores running at a high usage percentage there is nothing happening with the Nvidia 1080 series card.

Renders seem to run at about +/- 5 frames/second. For long clips, one can go have dinner and start a movie. And there may be several masks one wants to create in each source clip.

Gotta be missing something but didn't see anything in Preferences. Any thoughts???

FWIW, the simple base case: in Fusion we have a TIFF 1080 source with a chromakeyer and polygon mask applied, along with color curves, channel boolean and blur to clean up the mask. Looks OK and imports into Resolve perfectly.

(Well, almost perfectly: another hurdle is not a GPU issue but is a separate sync issue. Namely, there are difficulties syncing the matte with the matching Resolve source footage. No problem if the Resolve exported TIFF clip being sent to Fusion for mask generation begins its export at the head of the Resolve clip AND the Fusion render output also begins at the head of the source TIFF clip.)

Any thoughts???
Thanks, Mike

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Fusion renders with CPU only??? No GPU???
on Mar 26, 2017 at 10:41:04 am

Go to Preferences/Open CL.

I'd strongly recommend you try using Fusion Connect which will remove any problems you might be having with syncing your mattes.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Mar 28, 2017 at 6:27:42 am

Simon; thanks for the reply and many thanks again for your other tutorials, which--unlike most tutorials out there-- I have found to be even more rewarding with multiple viewings. They seem to have so many helpful pointers plus a clear overall plan for your discussions.

Yes, the OpenCL setting improved things markedly.

It had been running about 5fps, and by rendering the RGB channels as b/w, the rate went to about 9 fps and the TIFF frame size went from about 3.7 MB to about 1.8 MB, which seems about right. Then using OpenCL the rate went to about 18-19 fps. Other clips seem slower, perhaps 8-10-12 fps.

The GPU utilization still is only about 18%-20%.

Using SSDs for source and record drives and 6 cores x2, but only 32 GB ram. And it is all used. Max ram set aside in Preferences.

Regarding Fusion Connect, I am delighted that you seem to have confidence in its capabilities. That is, for this matte generation task specifically. Of course it returns to Resolve a flat file. This of course loses the Resolve graded node tree.

So, am I understanding this correctly? That is, this is really intended to be a one-shot technique?

There must be a work-around to allow one to revisit the original Resolve node grade, as one can return to the Fusion grade. But in Resolve, too, there may be requested changes.

Perhaps append a gallery grade from a Resolve still into a new clip copy, a replacement copy, of the timeline clip (which had become a Fusion timeline clip)???

Likewise, perhaps preserve the Fusion Connect node tree (copy paste into a temp Fusion project) while still in Fusion. Then after color changes as needed are applied in Resolve to a clean copy of the timeline clip with the original gallery grade applied as a starting point. Create a new Fusion Connect clip and paste the previous Fusion node tree into the new Fusion Connect clip. Make changes in Fusion as needed. Then render out again to the Resolve timeline.

What do you think???

Convoluted. Gotta be a better way.

Thanks again, Mike

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 28, 2017 at 9:39:32 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Mar 28, 2017 at 10:15:34 am

Glad to hear that worked for you and thanks for the kind words about the tutorials - if you have ideas for areas you would like to see me covered please let me know.

As for the Connect workflow, it's not yet ideal, but obviously it's early days and I suspect that BM may look to improve on it soon.

The method I use is simply to duplicate the clip that I want to send to Fusion so I have two instances stacked on the timeline. If I've already graded the clip I am sending, I either bake the grade in or bypass it depending on what I am doing with it in Fusion - usually I'll want to be using the ungraded clip. Then when I come back from Fusion I simply copy the grade to the Fusion Connect clip from my duplicate.

If I need to rework the Fusion Comp from scratch, I'll send a new version of my original clip to Fusion using "Create New Version", open up the previous Connect comp and copy and paste everything except the Loader and Saver and paste them into the new Connect comp attaching the Loader and Saver as appropriate. You can make this easier if you make a Group of your comp - you can then Ungroup it once you connected the flow back together in the new comp.

Or you can choose "Save Version' when in Fusion which will automatically increment the version number, but you do need to make sure to rename the Saver to a new version number.

Obviously if you're simply wanting to make changes to the original Fusion Connect comp you just need to select the Connect clip and use "Open in Fusion" and then you can use the versioning menu to select which render you want to use.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]