FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a drill bit in Cinema 4D lite

COW Forums : Maxon Cineware

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Robinson
Creating a drill bit in Cinema 4D lite
on Aug 2, 2018 at 3:55:23 pm

Hi there,
Im trying to create a drill bit in Cinema 4D Lite. I'm an After Effects user who is looking at the included Cinema software but i'm not finding it easy. I couldn't find a tutorial i could use online so thought i'd ask on here.

The more info the better or a link to a full tutorial if anyone happens to know of one would be great.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Creating a drill bit in Cinema 4D lite
on Aug 6, 2018 at 4:19:27 pm

If you make a cylinder, and then around the cylinder add a helix spline. The take a circle spline and sweep it along the helix. Adjust the sweep profile (the little twirl down for Details at the bottom of the attributes panel) so that it tapers just before the end. You may have to reverse the helix spline direction in the Mesh/Spline menu so that the taper is at the bottom of the Helix.
Now take the cylinder and the sweep and put them both in a Boole object (the helix will be the bottom child of the Boole) and set the Boole to A subtract B, High quality and Single object. Tada, a drill bit.
If you need to make the drill bit pointy, before you Boole, make the cylinder editable (C key) and pull the point in the middle of the top face of the cylinder out a little to make the end a cone.
The helix sweep should start to cut into the cylinder about a quarter of the way up from the bottom of the bit (hence the short taper on the sweep so its gradual).

Return to posts index

Ian Robinson
Re: Creating a drill bit in Cinema 4D lite
on Aug 7, 2018 at 7:55:17 am

Thanks Steve, I had muddled my way in that direction but your info has cleared up a couple of things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]