FORUMS: list search recent posts

Read/write drive

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonn Gibson
Read/write drive
on Dec 25, 2016 at 9:34:38 pm

I have a power mac with os 10.5 on it and I have a few usb drives. I recently bought a pc laptop with Windows 10. Windows doesn't read the drives from the mac and the mac doesn't read the drives from the pc. On the pc I formated the drive to EXFAT. Is there any software or techniques I could use to read the drives on each computer?

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
Re: Read/write drive
on Dec 26, 2016 at 11:02:35 am

The answer would normally be to use ExFat, but 10.5 is probably too old to support that.

You could instead try something like Mac drive...

Also, if you don't need any sort of performance, then there are free FUSE based solutions for Mac that allow you to read and write NTFS, but that can be slow.

Also you could probably just use FAT, which will probably work on both already. However, this has all sorts of limitations and would not be my choice.

Another approach would be to purchase a NAS of some kind. The you'll have shared storage that can be accessed from all of your systems without these sorts of complications ;-)

Storage Engineer
alex@indiestor.com

Return to posts index

Jonn Gibson
on Dec 26, 2016 at 11:20:24 am

Ya I was thinking about setting up a server kinda thing but that sound complicated. I will look into it. I have some old mac cases I can use.

Was wondering my flash drive works on the mac and pc so why not the hard drive? Do you know if there is any software that would help in reading hard drives in both platform's?

Here is the product that I'm using.
https://www.amazon.ca/thermaltake-Blacx-Docking-Station-ST0005U/dp/B001A4HA...

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
on Dec 28, 2016 at 9:29:45 am

The NAS way of doing this isn't as bad as you think. There are lots of off the shelf products that will do what you want, but performance will be a big factor in making that decision.

The flash drive probably works on both because it is FAT formatted. This is writable on both platforms.

IMO your old Mac is really causing this issue. If you had a later release of the Mac operating system, then you'd be able to use exFat on both sides, which doesn't have the file/volume limitations of old school FAT.

Is your Mac really running 10.5? I'd assume that makes it a PPC.

Storage Engineer
alex@indiestor.com

Return to posts index

Mike janowski
on Jan 8, 2017 at 12:02:27 am

I would agree. I mean, I love my 10.4 Tiger machine...but whenever I jump on it, down in my basement "analog suite", I'm never failed to be reminded how far Apple has taken the OS away from this release.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]