FORUMS: list search recent posts

4k ProRes HQ One-Hour Documentary Storage needs *OPINIONS WANTED*

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Harrell
4k ProRes HQ One-Hour Documentary Storage needs *OPINIONS WANTED*
on Nov 21, 2016 at 6:30:58 pm

Greetings all,

I have just been awarded a one-hour aerial doc for my local region. I'm shooting everything on a DJI Inspire 1 Pro (which records in H.264) and will edit on an extremely beefy "cheese grater" MacPro in FCP X. I'm going to try and transcode all media into ProRes 422 HQ, assuming that I'll get better color correction bandwidth in the HQ flavor, however this is going to require a TON of storage and read/write bandwidth to playback and edit.

Most storage arrays these days are Thunderbolt (which my tower doesn't have). This means I'm going to have to put a USB 3.0 or eSATA card in my MacPro. I'm trying to build a RAID 5 enclosure that I can populate with 8TB drives. A lengthy google search doesn't have many current rants or write-ups about this topic. As of right now, I'm eyeing an empty 4-bay case off Newegg or Amazon.

So, feel free to jump in with opinions on my plan so far. Here are a couple of questions:

1. Can anybody suggest other forms of storage that is reliable and cheap?

P.S. - I'm not really worrying about backups. I will have cloud backups for all media.

2. One CRAZY idea I was considering was buying two external RAID enclosures and then trying to software RAID those two drives into a mirror. In theory, each of the hardware RAIDS would appear as a single LUN in Disk Utility, and therefore the Mac would assume it was only two drives that were in the software Stripe. Has anyone tried this? Can anyone tell me why this is a bad idea?

Thank you to anyone who takes a little time to try and help me out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]